Visual Cultures of the Circumpolar North
A NiCHE & Jackman Humanities Institute Series
Proposal Deadline: June 10th, 2022
Series Publication: August & September 2022
To conclude its initial year, the organizers of the Jackman Humanities Institute (JHI)Visual Cultures of the Circumpolar North Working Group at the University of Toronto, want to expand upon their conversations and open-up the discussion to a wider network of researchers whose work draws attention to Indigenous, environmental, and settler pasts, presents, and futures around the Circumpolar North.
In partnership with NiCHE, we are inviting submissions of 500-1000 words for a series that brings together interdisciplinary perspectives on the cultural, social, and environmental dynamics across Indigenous communities and settler populations in Alaska, Canada, Greenland, the Nordic countries, and Russia to examine the complex visual/textual cultures of this region. Possible topics may include:
- Northern borders
- Militarization and defence
- Cultural heritage
- Indigenous visual histories
- Climate change
- Cartography and mapping
- Human and non-human relationships
Submissions are not limited to these themes but should maintain a visual focus. This might take the form of research posts, photo essays, or personal reflections.
Proposals of 150 words will be accepted until June 10th with publications running from
August through to the end of September.
If you are interested in contributing to this series, please email your proposal and a short bio to Isabelle Gapp at isabelle.gapp [@] utoronto.ca. Please also feel free to write to Isabelle if you would like any additional information or have any questions.
An honorarium is available for contributors without adequate or consistent access to institutional financial compensation, assistance or support.
Feature image: Herman Moll, “A map of the North Pole with all the territories that lye near it” (1732), courtesy Toronto Public Library
Latest posts by Isabelle Gapp (see all)
- NiCHE-JHI Visual Cultures of the Circumpolar North Virtual Roundtable - May 2, 2023
- EH Week Virtual Event – NiCHE-JHI Visual Cultures of the Circumpolar North Roundtable - March 22, 2023
- Online Event – Tracing Arctic Voices in Art, Literature, Visual and Material Culture, c. 1750-1914 - February 7, 2023
- Online Event – Critical Energy Humanities: Experiments in Environmental Humanities - November 29, 2022
- Online Event – Nordic Nature: Art, Ecology, Landscape - May 25, 2022
- Call for Submissions: Visual Cultures of the Circumpolar North - May 12, 2022
- Canadian Environmental History at ASEH 2022 - March 22, 2022
- Water in the Wilderness? Rethinking the Canadian Group of Seven - January 19, 2022
- CFP – Nordic Nature: Art, Ecology, Landscape - September 25, 2021
- The Boundaries of Arctic Map-Making: Exploration, Environment and Marginalia - April 8, 2021