The Network in Canadian History & Environment / Nouvelle initiative canadienne en histoire de l’environnement is seeking a new member for our executive committee. We welcome expressions of interest from anyone active in the academic study of environmental history and historical geography, including those in related fields and professional areas.
We are looking for people who are:
- experienced with WordPress (or willing to learn!)
- creative, thoughtful, and interested in recruiting writers to develop blog posts and series for our website
- keen to develop and maintain teaching and research resource pages
- familiar with Canadian and environmental history
- French and English-language editors
- engaged with work at the intersection of history and the environment, and who want to contribute to the operation of Canada’s largest not-for-profit public environmental history organization
Executive Committee (1 Position Available)
Executive Committee terms are three years with option for renewal. The Executive Committee oversees the website, organization activities and events, network collaboration, and non-profit management. Executive Committee members are part of the Editorial Team and are expected to edit and create content for our website and blog. Executive Committee members must hold a PhD or equivalent career experience. The Executive Committee is a voluntary position. The Executive Committee meets approximately 3 times a year, plus additional subcommittee meetings. Executive Committee members must meet one of the following criteria:
- Based at a Canadian Institution
- Independent Scholar based in Canada
- Canadian scholar or scholar of Canada living outside of the country
For 2024, we have one position available on the Executive Committee
NiCHE is a Canadian-based, volunteer-run, not-for-profit organization of researchers and educators who work at the intersection of nature and history. We explore the historical context of environmental matters and communicate our findings to researchers, policymakers, and the public.
Our main platform for communicating our work is this website, where we publish a blog, book reviews, news & announcements, a monthly newsletter, a podcast, videos, a peer-reviewed journal, teaching/research resources, research project websites, and more. We also do other things such as host an annual summer school, adjudicate an annual book/article prize, and coordinate a network for graduate students.
We do all this with the support of the broader NiCHE community and through the time, effort, and energy of our volunteer editorial/executive committee.
NiCHE strives for inclusivity. We are eager to represent the diversity of the academic community in our executive and editorial board and encourage expressions of interest from women and members from LGBTQ2+, BIPOC, and neurodiverse communities.
If you think you would like to put some time, effort, and energy into helping make great things at NiCHE by joining our editorial/executive board, please fill out the below form and let us know by November 17, 2023. Applicants will hear back on their application by December 1, 2023.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Bingeable Series: NiCHE Compilations of Otter Posts - November 27, 2023
- The next $6,600 in donations will be matched! Double the impact of your support for NiCHE. - November 16, 2023
- Hybrid Event – Green Development or Greenwashing? Environmental Histories of Finland - November 15, 2023
- Announcing the NiCHE Merchandise Store! - November 10, 2023
- Job – Postdoctoral Researcher: Roosevelt Institute for American Studies - November 10, 2023
- November for NiCHE – 2023 Fundraising Campaign - November 1, 2023
- Call for 2024 NiCHE Executive Committee Member - October 27, 2023
- 2024 NiCHE Prize Call for Submissions - October 26, 2023
- Two Book Launches for Macfarlane’s Natural Allies - October 4, 2023
- Call for Papers – Contested Landscapes: “Wilderness” Parks and Shifting Narratives - October 2, 2023