David Neufeld was a historian who championed many things, including Northern history, environmental history, public history, and Indigenous history and heritage. He spent his career as a Parks Canada historian learning from the people and the land of the Yukon Territory, pushing for inclusion and two-eyed seeing, and mentoring young and early career researchers who shared his passions. The passing of David in late 2020 brought to light just how many people, both within and outside the academic world, David has influenced, supported, and mentored throughout his life.
To honour David’s legacy, the Neufeld Memorial Lecture will take place annually, in a virtually streamed format, and will feature the work of early career researchers, public historians, and Indigenous historians and heritage workers. In keeping with his spirit, this event will remain free and open to the public, and housed for future viewing.
The Neufeld Memorial Lecture organizing committee is pleased to announce that the inaugural Neufeld Lecture will be delivered by Dr. Rebecca Woods on January 22nd 2021 at 3:00pm EST in connection with the Northern Animals and Borders Workshop, in which David had planned to participate. David was enthusiastic about this workshop, to share his new research and connect with other northern researchers. He offered to help with local logistics in Whitehorse and we hoped to get a day out on the river with Dave. Coronavirus prevented us from meeting in Whitehorse last summer, but we are pleased to honour David’s role in the rescheduled workshop in this way.
The David Neufeld Memorial Lecture Organizing Committee includes Erin Neufeld, Karen Routledge, Glenn Iceton, Jonathan Luedee, and Heather Green. Inquiries about the Neufeld Lecture can be made to Karen Routledge at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Heather Green (see all)
- Call for Contributors: Northern Borders and Boundaries - January 28, 2021
- Introducing the David Neufeld Memorial Lecture - January 13, 2021
- Northern Animals and Borders Virtual Workshop Live Stream - January 6, 2021
- Remembering Dave: A Collective Tribute to David Neufeld - September 22, 2020
- Place-Based Learning from the Arctic to the Maritimes - April 21, 2020
- Review of “There’s Something in the Water” - March 11, 2020
- Perennial Problems: Histories of Environment and Health - January 23, 2020
- Welcome to the New Scholars Community - January 15, 2020
- Girl Guides Outside - November 26, 2019
- Luck in the Archives: How One File Shaped My Dissertation - July 16, 2019