The Environment Canada climate-related archival collection, which came to the University of Western Ontario on long-term loan in 2014, has now been fully catalogued and is available to researchers visiting ARCC at UWO’s Weldon Library. Here is the downloadable EC inventory.
The collection consists of almost 900 archival boxes of EC’s extant daily weather observations between 1840-1960 (an estimated 1.6 million pages) and 250 volumes of correspondence, letterbooks, etc. ranging from 1829-1967. Please contact me if you have any questions about the collection. The more I dig into it, the more I think it has to offer folks studying climate and meteorological history in Canada. If you’re coming to Western to research from the collection, let me know.
Latest posts by Alan MacEachern (see all)
- Storms of a Century: Fiona (2022) & Five (1923) - November 10, 2022
- Climate at the Speed of Weather - October 5, 2021
- Restricted Clientele! Everyday Racism in Canadian National Parks - September 9, 2020
- Material World: Exhibiting the Anthropocene - May 4, 2020
- CHESS 2020 ~ keep the dates! - October 4, 2019
- Well-Grounded - July 10, 2019
- ICEHO Bulletin 19 - March 28, 2019
- Review of Mannell, Living Lightly on the Earth - February 6, 2019
- Canopy: An Interview with Alan MacEachern - January 15, 2019
- The Year in Apocalypses - December 31, 2018