We like to start each January with a look back at the year before. The Otter~la loutre continues to be one of the most active Canadian history blogs on the web, reaching a wide audience of readers interested in thoughtful, creative, and challenging views on nature, history, and society.
2018 was a big year for the The Otter and a big year in general for NiCHE. We published 99 blog posts on The Otter, reaching nearly 100,000 views. This included eleven book reviews in NiCHE Reviews. We published seven special blog series including, “Canada’s Anthropocene,” “Seeds 2: New Research in Environmental History,” “Rhizomes,” “Soundings,” “Environmental History and Early Modern History,” “#EnvHist Worth Reading,” and “CHESS 2018: Prairie Landscapes and Environmental Change.”
Nature’s Past, our audio podcast series, published four new episodes in 2018 for a total of 62 episodes in this now decade-long podcast. NiCHE also launched its new peer-reviewed occasional research paper series, Papers in Canadian History and Environment and published the first paper, “Magical Regionalism: Canadian Geography on Screen in the 1950s” by Matt Dyce and Jonathan Peyton. University of Saskatchewan hosted the 2018 Canadian History and Environment Summer Symposium on the theme of “Prairie Landscapes and Environmental Change in the Twentieth Century.” This was the first CHESS to include an extended writing workshop as part of this annual event. Finally, we launched a NiCHE Instagram channel!
2018 was a big year with a lot of NiCHE activities and a lot of publishing. Here are the five most-read blog posts on The Otter for 2018:
2. Caitlynn Beckett, “Rethinking Remediation at the Giant Mine, Yellowknife: Who Decides What is ‘Clean Enough’?”
We want to thank all of our contributors from 2018. We hope that you’ll all write for us again. And we want to encourage new contributors to make 2019 the year they publish their writing with NiCHE. Get started today with our contributors’ guide.
Happy New Year!
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Online Event – Animal Welfare Movement in Estonia Before World War II - December 1, 2023
- Job – Assistant Professor, Environmental History, University of Northern British Columbia - December 1, 2023
- Bingeable Series: NiCHE Compilations of Otter Posts - November 27, 2023
- The next $6,600 in donations will be matched! Double the impact of your support for NiCHE. - November 16, 2023
- Hybrid Event – Green Development or Greenwashing? Environmental Histories of Finland - November 15, 2023
- Announcing the NiCHE Merchandise Store! - November 10, 2023
- Job – Postdoctoral Researcher: Roosevelt Institute for American Studies - November 10, 2023
- November for NiCHE – 2023 Fundraising Campaign - November 1, 2023
- Call for 2024 NiCHE Executive Committee Member - October 27, 2023
- 2024 NiCHE Prize Call for Submissions - October 26, 2023