Online Book Talk: Edward Feuz Jr. A Story of Enchantment
Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies
25 November, 2021 – 7:00 – 8:00pm MST
The Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies book talk series either features local authors, those who celebrate the culture of the Canadian Rockies, or those that showcase the Whyte Museum Archives.
Join local author Dr. D.L. (Donna) Stephen for an intimate look at the life and climbs of Swiss alpine guide Edward Feuz Jr., patriarch of Canadian alpinism and genuine lover of the mountains.
As a young Swiss boy, Edward Feuz Jr. (1884-1981) developed an insatiable passion for climbing. He was eventually drawn to Canada in the footsteps of his father, Edward Feuz Sr. (1859-1944), who was one of the first Swiss guides hired by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1898 to develop alpinism in western Canada.
Handsome and charismatic, Edward (while still in training for his trade) was instantly smitten with the Canadian landscape – and so were his guests. They raved about the young man who showed such exceptional skills. Young and old, they were all enchanted, and so they returned time and again – to the mountains and to their friend Edward.
Author Dr. D.L. (Donna) Stephens was brought up in Los Angeles, California. Every summer, beginning at age three, she travelled by car with her family to the Canadian Rockies to hike, climb, and spend time with their good friends Edward and Martha Feuz. She lives in Alberta’s Bow Valley.
Tickets are $5 or Free for Members. The presentation is on Zoom and begins at 7pm MST.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Rural History Roundtable Fall 2023 Speaker Series – University of Guelph - September 18, 2023
- World Congress of Environmental History 2024 – Call for Papers and Posters - June 26, 2023
- Call for Applications: Black Indigenous Waterways Postdoctoral Fellowship - June 7, 2023
- 2023 Winner of Best Article/Chapter in Canadian Environmental History Prize - June 1, 2023
- Job – Lecturer in Environmental History, Newcastle University - June 1, 2023
- Canada’s First Oil Boom: Kerosene Lighting in Canada, 1846-1920 - May 18, 2023
- Petrolias, Then & Now: Exploring Change & Continuity in the Ethics of Extraction - May 18, 2023
- Online Event – Decolonizing Ourselves: Legislating Broken Promises, Past and Present - May 1, 2023
- CFC – The Routledge Handbook of Health and Environmental Humanities - February 22, 2023
- WEBINAR: Supporting Modern Environmental Research with Digital Primary Sources - February 2, 2023