Northeast and Atlantic Region Environmental History Forum
Call for Papers Seventh Annual Workshop
Friday, June 15 and Saturday June 16, 2018
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum, Ottawa, Ontario
Deadline: March 3, 2018
The Northeast and Atlantic Region Environmental History Forum (NEAR-EH) is a group of scholars exploring the environmental history of the northeastern United States and northeastern Canada. This group first met in 2012 at the Massachusetts Historical Society with the basic premise that the environmental history of this region has a different story to tell than the more dominant narrative generated from the West. For six years the group has sponsored a workshop for which participants submit pre-circulated papers that are then discussed in-depth, going well beyond the typical level of engagement authors get at a standard academic conference. Many participants have since published their papers as articles, chapters of books, essays, or have used the feedback to advance their scholarly agenda and win competitive research grants.
This year NEAR-EH will be hosted by the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum (CAFM) in Ottawa, Ontario. The museum is situated on a national historic site, Canada’s first federal experimental farm. The farm and the museum occupy historic buildings set amidst prime agricultural land in the heart of Canada’s national capital. Accommodations will provided at Carleton University residences, which are located beside the heritage-listed Rideau Canal and within walking distance—through the national Arboretum—of the workshop site.
There is no registration fee and the organizers work to provide participants with some food and recreation. All travel and lodging costs, however, must be paid for by the participant. Once participation is confirmed, the organizers will circulate information about affordable accommodation at Carleton University’s residences.
We limit paper submissions in the final workshop to twelve active participants so as to ensure a meaningful experience that includes close examination and discussion of the individuals’ papers.
Please submit proposals of 250 words to Brian Payne at email@example.com no later than March 3, 2018. Additional information concerning the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum or Ottawa generally can be directed to William Knight at firstname.lastname@example.org
Acceptance into the workshop will be announced on March 19. Participants should then book accommodation at Carleton University at their earliest convenience after acceptance. Papers due for circulation to other participants on May 14.
Latest posts by Claire Campbell (see all)
- Summer Postcards 2019 - June 6, 2019
- Northeast & Atlantic Region Environmental History Forum (NEAR-EH) 2019 - June 4, 2019
- “Rising with the Tide of History”: The Age of Sail as Industrial Alibi - May 22, 2019
- Reminder: Northeast & Atlantic Region Environmental History (NEAR-EH) 2019 - March 15, 2019
- Get Outside: Field Trips & Teaching Environmental History - February 26, 2019
- Northeast & Atlantic Region Environmental History (NEAR-EH) 2019: Call for Proposals - February 18, 2019
- Summer Postcards, 2018: The Gallery - September 17, 2018
- The Annual Back-to-School Call-for-Syllabi - September 6, 2018
- Review of Little, Fashioning the Canadian Landscape - August 29, 2018
- Summer Postcards, 2018 - August 13, 2018