“The First Century of the International Joint Commission” is a two-day conference and workshop in Ottawa on September 25-26, 2017, that will explore aspects of the history and legacy of the International Joint Commission from the time of its origins in 1909 to the present day.
The subject matter for discussion ranges from the institutional origins of the IJC through twentieth century water quality management alongside the regulation of levels, flows and diversions. Papers by Canadian and American researchers will also address the evolution of governance arrangements and the contribution of IJC operations and initiatives to the development of environmental law in Canada and the United States. Programme details are posted online HERE. Upon registration, you will receive a link to the Dropbox folder where conference papers are shared. Please refer to your registration confirmation email for details.
“The First Century of the International Joint Commission” will be of interest to government officials with related responsibilities, to academic researchers concerned with transboundary water management, Canada-U.S. relations and environmental governance, as well as to industry and NGO representatives whose policy work involves related issues.
This conference will contribute to the publication of a edited book (in the NiCHE-UCP series) on the history of the BWT/IJC edited by Daniel Macfarlane and Murray Clamen.
For more information, please email the organizers at Daniel Macfarlane at email@example.com; Greg Donaghy at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Murray Clamen at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Daniel Macfarlane (see all)
- Paddling through the Past - March 12, 2019
- Environmental Historians Debate: Can Nuclear Power Solve Climate Change? - January 29, 2019
- The End (and Middle) of History: Environment and Politics in Flint’s Water Crisis - December 6, 2018
- Call for Chapter Proposals: “The Northern Midwest and the US-Canadian Borderlands: Essays on a Forgotten Region” - August 30, 2018
- Finding Environmental History in … Sharknado? - August 27, 2018
- Terror-Forming the Earth - July 9, 2018
- A Slippery History of Controlling Ice in the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Basin - March 20, 2018
- Putting Pipeline Spills in Historical Perspective - November 17, 2017
- Hydro Democracy in Canada - November 2, 2017
- Emotional and Environmental History at Niagara Falls - September 28, 2017