“The First Century of the International Joint Commission” is a two-day conference and workshop in Ottawa on September 25-26, 2017, that will explore aspects of the history and legacy of the International Joint Commission from the time of its origins in 1909 to the present day.
The subject matter for discussion ranges from the institutional origins of the IJC through twentieth century water quality management alongside the regulation of levels, flows and diversions. Papers by Canadian and American researchers will also address the evolution of governance arrangements and the contribution of IJC operations and initiatives to the development of environmental law in Canada and the United States. Programme details are posted online HERE. Upon registration, you will receive a link to the Dropbox folder where conference papers are shared. Please refer to your registration confirmation email for details.
“The First Century of the International Joint Commission” will be of interest to government officials with related responsibilities, to academic researchers concerned with transboundary water management, Canada-U.S. relations and environmental governance, as well as to industry and NGO representatives whose policy work involves related issues.
This conference will contribute to the publication of a edited book (in the NiCHE-UCP series) on the history of the BWT/IJC edited by Daniel Macfarlane and Murray Clamen.
For more information, please email the organizers at Daniel Macfarlane at email@example.com; Greg Donaghy at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Murray Clamen at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Daniel Macfarlane (see all)
- Environmental Studies of the Great Lakes: A Symposium - October 27, 2022
- The Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement Turns 50 - April 14, 2022
- New Book Series: Environmental Studies of the Great Lakes - March 1, 2022
- Graduate Student Opportunity with the Canadian Museum of Nature - February 2, 2022
- The Climate Crisis and the Canadian Classroom - September 21, 2021
- Line 5 and the History of Canada-US Hydrocarbon Pipelines - June 17, 2021
- Hoover Dam in Hollywood - December 3, 2020
- Environmental Diplomacy, Envirotech, and Canadian History - May 5, 2020
- Canadians at ASEH & N|H|S Get Together - March 7, 2020
- The First Century of the International Joint Commission - February 26, 2020