We are happy to have facilitated another donation of Forest History related materials to UBC Rare Books and Special Collections. For this, we thank Mr. Douglas Rickson who created and then cared for these precious primary sources for so many years.
Doug joined Canfor in 1964 as a forester, after serving for seven years with the B.C. Forest Service. Over the years his career progressed such that he became Chief Forester, then Vice-President and Chief Forester (Canadian Forest Products Ltd.) and finally Vice-President and Chief Forester (Canfor Corporation) serving as an Officer of the Corporation and a member of Canfor’s President’s Committee.
The material that Doug has donated includes some photos of a cruising camp and crew at Hemmingson Creek, from his days as a student timber cruiser in 1954 or 1955. However, primarily the collection covers the period from the mid 1970’s until his retirement in 1995. The documents relate to Doug’s various forestry responsibilities with respect to Canfor’s forest management policies and standards, tenure administration, government relations, representing Canfor on various forestry committees, forest education programs, internal forest practice performance reviews, and presentations to Canfors’ major customers in North America and overseas.
Doug’s reports, letters and speech texts represent a rich source of information for future researchers, and UBC Rare Books and Special Collections is grateful for this valuable donation. It expands upon their already extensive forest history holdings.
We understand that Doug’s family is also thankful for the extra space that this donation has created in their basement!
The Canadian Forest History Preservation Project helps match collection donors and eager repositories. It is a collaborative effort involving the Network in Canadian History and Environment (NiCHE), the Canadian Forest Service, four provincial forest history associations and the US-based Forest History Society.
For more information on the Project, consult one of our brochures, or get in touch.
Latest posts by David Brownstein (see all)
- Archival Donation: Western Forest Products - July 26, 2016
- In Celebration of International Day of Forests: A Forest History Archival Donation Guide - March 21, 2015
- The Cloud Will Not Remember Everything Forever: Some Thoughts Prompted by Another Forest History Archival Donation - October 6, 2014
- History mysteries at the Association of BC Forest Professionals Meeting - August 11, 2014
- June is Forest History Month: Special issue of the Forestry Chronicle. - June 6, 2014
- Archival donation: the Dr Hubert William Ferdinand Bunce fonds. - May 26, 2014
- Adventures along the archival commodity chain: the Truck Loggers Convention. - May 2, 2014
- A rare event: forest history on the sports pages. - March 30, 2014
- Book Launch: A History of Forestry in Canada - March 10, 2014
- Announcing another archival donation: the Douglas Rickson fonds. - January 12, 2014