Call for Papers: Animals and Imagery in the Ancient and Medieval World
University of Calgary
Online Symposium: May 27, 2022
Abstract Deadline: April 3, 2022
The University of Calgary is excited to announce a one-day virtual symposium on May 27, 2022 with the theme: Animals and Animal Imagery in the Ancient World. The symposium is organized by the Department of Classics & Religion and Nickle Galleries, the University museum, hosted by the University of Calgary. The conference is associated with the upcoming numismatics exhibition on animals titled, Money Zoo: Fantastic Beasts in the History of Money.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Animal iconography and visual culture of the ancient world
- The use of animals in the ancient world
- Relationships between humans and animals
- The symbolic association of animals
- Animals in cult and ritual
We invite academics and graduate students from all fields and departments to join us. The symposium will be held on May 27, 2022 on Zoom.
We are welcoming submissions for 20-minute presentations for this interdisciplinary session. Please submit 250-word abstracts as a PDF attachment with your full name, academic affiliation, and title of your abstract by April 3, 2022.
Please submit abstracts and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feature Image: “07-05-07 ancient animals” by jim_bogar is marked with CC BY-NC 2.0.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Online Event – Water Knows No Boundaries – Releasing Toxic Tailings “Ponds” Won’t Either - September 22, 2022
- Reversing the Biodiversity Crisis: A Book Release Discussion of Wild by Design - September 9, 2022
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Environmental Humanities – Whitman College, Washington - September 2, 2022
- The Management of Natural Resources and the Environment in Canada: Historical and Transnational Perspectives - August 8, 2022
- Environmental Humanities – Postdoctoral Fellowship, Literature, Film, or Cultural Studies – Lakehead University, Orillia - May 29, 2022
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Indian Ocean World Studies – Bourse postdoctorale en études du monde de l’océan Indien - May 20, 2022
- Best Book in Canadian Environmental History Prize: The 2022 Winner - May 19, 2022
- Job: Chair in Cultural Heritage Knowledge Integration in Ocean and Maritime Studies - May 18, 2022
- Online Event – The Pleasure of the Dawn Chorus: Preserving the Pandemic Soundscape - April 6, 2022
- The Ways We Work: Oily Entanglements - April 6, 2022