Arcadia is an open-access, peer-reviewed online journal for short articles on local events in environmental history. Published by Rachel Carson Center in collaboration with the European Society for Environmental History (ESEH), the journal invites submissions from both early-career researchers and established scholars.
Published submissions may be included in one or several curated thematic collections, of which the latest are Religion and Place, Coastal History, Technology and Expertise, and Histories across Species.
Editor’s note: I assigned the Arcadia Coastal Series to my environmental history seminar as a short in-class exercise, to dissect things like sources, argument, and application; especially in the days of remote teaching, it’s a great resource!
New features and new kinds of content are announced on our Facebook page and our Twitter account @env_and_society as well as our Instagram account @environment_and_society_portal. You may receive updates about new content by subscribing to our RSS feed.
Currently the Environment and Society Portal links to a number of materials with Canadian content, including the Nature’s Past podcast, articles in the RCC Perspectives series, and the University of Calgary Canada & the Environment series. Arcadia has about two dozen articles on this half of the continent, ranging from stories of wild rice to Banff National Park (and further afield, including Canadian beaver introduced in Argentina). But doesn’t the world need more Canada?
Questions or a pitch may be sent to email@example.com.
Feature image from Jonathan Robins, “Humans and Other Pollinators in the Oil Palm Plantation Complex,” Arcadia (8) Spring 2021. Since palm oil is … a slippery topic in Canadian butter news right now.
Latest posts by Claire Campbell (see all)
- Stuff Stories: The Confederation Trail - July 18, 2022
- Summer Institute: Non/Humanity - April 1, 2022
- Northeast and Atlantic Region Environmental History Forum (NEAR-EH) Call for Papers, 2022 - February 10, 2022
- Appel à contributions: PiCHE - November 19, 2021
- Call for Submissions: PiCHE - November 12, 2021
- Call for Teaching Materials - September 9, 2021
- History En Vélo - September 8, 2021
- CFP: Water Ecologies - April 5, 2021
- Call for Contributions: Arcadia - March 26, 2021
- Shore/lines: Mapping Coastlines on Isle Saint-Jean - August 17, 2020