A new year for NiCHE New Scholars is beginning, and a new year means a new rep!
It is my pleasure to introduce you to the 2018/2019 New Scholars representative, Heather Green. Heather recently received her PhD from the University of Alberta and is currently a postdoctoral fellow with the Wilson Institute for Canadian History at McMaster University.
During my time as the New Scholars representative, I had the chance to meet digitally with scholars in several countries. We discussed transcending borders, defining environmental history, and the environmental legacies of Canada’s nuclear program. These discussions pushed me to break out of several mental ruts, to bounce ideas off of a broader community, and to hear all the different ways you think about the same things. Our conversations were always welcoming but challenging and the blog posts that followed were a chance to see the different ways we digested and reflected upon our discussions.
Thank you to everyone who joined in our digital meetings and wrote about them. I truly enjoyed meeting you, getting to know you better, and hearing how you think about borders, environmental history, and Canada’s place in the field. Thank you for allowing me to connect to a community of people who think about Canada. I have moved forward with my work in different way since speaking with you.
For those of you who don’t know, NiCHE New Scholars is a network within NiCHE for PhD students, postdoctoral fellows, and recent PhD graduates.
If you missed out last year, please consider joining this year. It is a great community and all new scholars are invited to participate. I encourage you to sign up for the New Scholars mailing list by emailing Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Robynne Mellor (see all)
- Review of O’Brian, The Bomb in the Wilderness - March 15, 2021
- The Cold War Constraints on the Nuclear Energy Option - March 13, 2019
- Join the Community: NiCHE New Scholars 2018/2019 - September 10, 2018
- Transcending Borders: New Scholars First Meeting & Our Upcoming Discussion - December 20, 2017
- Call for New Scholars Participants: Canada and the World - October 25, 2017
- NiCHE New Scholars 2017/18 - September 25, 2017
- The Radioactive Colonization of Indigenous Bodies - August 23, 2017
- Chernobyl: The Ongoing Accident - May 18, 2017
- Wildly Nuclear: Elliot Lake and Canada’s Nuclear Legacy - June 15, 2016