Episode 42: The Right to a Healthy Environment
Canadians value their natural environment. Nine out of ten worry about the impacts of environmental degradation on their health. Nine out of ten are concerned about climate change. Eight out of ten believe that Canada needs stricter environmental laws and regulations. And 95 percent of Canadians consider access to clean water a basic human right.
So, do Canadians actually have a constitutional right to live in a healthy environment? According to David Boyd, the answer is no (at least, not exactly), but he explains why they should in his new book The Right to a Healthy Environment: Revitalizing Canada’s Constitution.
On this episode of the podcast, we speak with David Boyd about Canadian environmental rights.
Please be sure to take a moment to fill out a short listener survey here.
Borrows, John. Canada’s Indigenous Constitution. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2010.
Boyd, David R. The Right to a Healthy Environment: Revitalizing Canada’s Constitution. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2012.
“Le Duel” by Arnaud Condé
“Transition” by Eric Bowers
“Chowny Rencontre Velvorn” by Arnaud Condé
“Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II with Prime Minister The Rt. Hon. Pierre Elliott Trudeau signing the Proclamation of the Constitution Act, 1982” Credit: Robert Cooper / Library and Archives Canada / PA-141503
Kheraj, Sean. “Episode 42: The Right to a Healthy Environment” Nature’s Past: Canadian Environmental History Podcast. 17 March 2014.
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 75: Uranium Mining at Elliot Lake - June 30, 2022
- How the Interprovincial and Trans Mountain Pipelines Were Approved - April 8, 2022
- Nature’s Past Episode 74: Colonial Legacies of Wood Buffalo National Park - March 28, 2022
- Reindeer at the End of the World: Apocalypse, Climate, and Soviet Dreams - January 25, 2022
- Top 5 Posts of 2021 - January 6, 2022
- 2022 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Bathsheba Demuth - January 3, 2022
- Thank You - December 20, 2021
- Nature’s Past Episode 73: New Books in Canadian Environmental History - November 15, 2021
- The Technology of a Canadian Environmental History Network - November 8, 2021
- Nature’s Past Episode 72: What’s Next for Canadian Environmental History? - July 12, 2021