Episode 42: The Right to a Healthy Environment
Canadians value their natural environment. Nine out of ten worry about the impacts of environmental degradation on their health. Nine out of ten are concerned about climate change. Eight out of ten believe that Canada needs stricter environmental laws and regulations. And 95 percent of Canadians consider access to clean water a basic human right.
So, do Canadians actually have a constitutional right to live in a healthy environment? According to David Boyd, the answer is no (at least, not exactly), but he explains why they should in his new book The Right to a Healthy Environment: Revitalizing Canada’s Constitution.
On this episode of the podcast, we speak with David Boyd about Canadian environmental rights.
Please be sure to take a moment to fill out a short listener survey here.
Borrows, John. Canada’s Indigenous Constitution. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2010.
Boyd, David R. The Right to a Healthy Environment: Revitalizing Canada’s Constitution. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2012.
“Le Duel” by Arnaud Condé
“Transition” by Eric Bowers
“Chowny Rencontre Velvorn” by Arnaud Condé
“Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II with Prime Minister The Rt. Hon. Pierre Elliott Trudeau signing the Proclamation of the Constitution Act, 1982” Credit: Robert Cooper / Library and Archives Canada / PA-141503
Kheraj, Sean. “Episode 42: The Right to a Healthy Environment” Nature’s Past: Canadian Environmental History Podcast. 17 March 2014.
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 71: Water and Anishinaabe Territory - April 12, 2021
- James Scott: How to Write Like a River - February 28, 2021
- The First Post-War Oil Pipeline Hearings in Canada - February 9, 2021
- 2021 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Brittany Luby and Chief Lorraine Cobiness - February 8, 2021
- Top 5 Posts of 2020 - January 5, 2021
- Nature’s Past Episode 70: Environmentalism and the Company of Young Canadians - September 2, 2020
- Interview Animalia: An Anti-Imperial Bestiary for Our Times - August 12, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 69: Environmental Racism and Canadian History - July 29, 2020
- Whose Nature? Race and Canadian Environmental History - July 7, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 68: Home and Environment - May 11, 2020