September 9 – 13, 2014
Mount Royal University
Calgary, AB CANADA
Under Western Skies is a biennial, interdisciplinary conference on the environment. The third conference welcomes academics from across the disciplines as well as members of artistic and activist communities, non- and for-profit organizations, government, labour, and NGOs to address collectively the environmental challenges faced by human and nonhuman actors.
The conference is held on the Mount Royal University campus (Calgary, Alberta, CANADA) in the LEED Gold-certified Roderick Mah Centre for Continuous Learning.
Keynote speakers for the 2014 conference include:
•Timothy Ingold (http://www.abdn.ac.uk/elphinstone/staff/details.php?id=tim.ingold)
•Adrian Ivakhiv (http://www.uvm.edu/~aivakhiv/)
•Bruno Latour (http://bruno-latour.fr/)
•Patty Limerick (http://centerwest.org/about/patty/)
•Bron Taylor (http://www.brontaylor.com/)
•Idle No More: Sheelah McLean, Sylvia McAdam, Alex Wilson, and Erica Lee (http://www.idlenomore.ca/)
•Plus an evening reception to honour ecologist David Schindler (http://www.science.ca/scientists/scientistprofile.php?pID=441)
The theme of UWS 2014 is Environments, Technologies, and Communities.
A selection of papers will go forward for an edited book publication following UWS 2014. The collection of edited papers stemming from UWS 2010 is forthcoming from Wilfrid Laurier University Press as a part of its Environmental Humanities Series (http://www.wlupress.wlu.ca/press/Catalog/boschman.shtml).
Latest posts by Josh MacFadyen (see all)
- The Fir Trade in Canada: Mapping Commodity Flows on Railways - October 8, 2020
- Other Plans: Development and Agriculture in Prince Edward Island - June 27, 2019
- Go Big or Go Spruce - April 2, 2018
- Will it Play in Peoria, Alberta? - January 22, 2018
- Weather Markets: A Business Case for Environmental History - May 17, 2017
- Enseigner les SIG historiques et restaurer les communautés perdues en classe - May 1, 2017
- Teaching Historical GIS and Restoring Lost Communities in the Classroom - November 1, 2016
- Why We Don’t Unsubscribe from Place: Digital Networks and Mobility - October 13, 2015
- Cold Cases: Hypothermia before, and after, Stonechild - October 27, 2014
- Old Weather and the New Climate of the Arctic - April 30, 2014