Comprehensive Sustainable Development in Arctic Societies: Post-graduate summer school within the social and human sciences
Jointly organised by UArctic, CIRCLA/Aalborg University, Ilisimatusarfik
- Invitation to UArctic-CIRCLA Summer school 12-15 May 2014
- Application form for UArctic-CIRCLA Summer school 12-15 May 2014
- ARTEK, Sisimiut
- Registration deadline
- Sunday 15. December at 23:00
UArctic-CIRCLA-Ilisimatusarfik Post-Graduate Summer School on ‘Comprehensive Sustainable Development in Arctic Societies’.
Climate change, melting ice, access to resources and shipping routes and national competition for influence in the region bring a number of challenges and opportunities. It is becoming clear that maintaining status quo in Arctic societies is rarely a viable, even if desired option. Development to make the best of the changes, however, is.
Change-induced processes hold the potential for comprehensive sustainable development in the Arctic – in areas defined as political, social, economic as well as cultural. Modernization and reinvention of existing industries and systems of administration and communication, and the development of new industries provide a chance to break with decades of economic dependency and, consequently, a renaissance of cultural output and pride in local abilities and traditions. As Arctic peoples seek to seize the opportunities that arise as a consequence of change, learning, knowledge creation and competence-building will be of utmost importance to the sustainable development of these societies.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Transforming Brown to Green: Environmental Organizing in Toronto in the 1970s - January 11, 2021
- 2020 Year In Review - December 22, 2020
- The NiCHE Wikipedia Page Needs an Update! - November 20, 2020
- Subscribe to the New Monthly NiCHE Newsletter! - November 12, 2020
- 2021 NiCHE Prize Announcement - September 16, 2020
- CFP: Discard Studies Twitter Conference - September 10, 2020
- CFP – Environments of Exile: Refugees, Nature, and Representations - September 4, 2020
- CFP: Fighting Scarcity and Creating Abundance - July 30, 2020
- Ten Books to Contextualize Environmental Racism - July 8, 2020
- Call for Contributors: Research and Writing in the Time of COVID-19 - June 12, 2020