Comprehensive Sustainable Development in Arctic Societies: Post-graduate summer school within the social and human sciences
Jointly organised by UArctic, CIRCLA/Aalborg University, Ilisimatusarfik
- Invitation to UArctic-CIRCLA Summer school 12-15 May 2014
- Application form for UArctic-CIRCLA Summer school 12-15 May 2014
- ARTEK, Sisimiut
- Registration deadline
- Sunday 15. December at 23:00
UArctic-CIRCLA-Ilisimatusarfik Post-Graduate Summer School on ‘Comprehensive Sustainable Development in Arctic Societies’.
Climate change, melting ice, access to resources and shipping routes and national competition for influence in the region bring a number of challenges and opportunities. It is becoming clear that maintaining status quo in Arctic societies is rarely a viable, even if desired option. Development to make the best of the changes, however, is.
Change-induced processes hold the potential for comprehensive sustainable development in the Arctic – in areas defined as political, social, economic as well as cultural. Modernization and reinvention of existing industries and systems of administration and communication, and the development of new industries provide a chance to break with decades of economic dependency and, consequently, a renaissance of cultural output and pride in local abilities and traditions. As Arctic peoples seek to seize the opportunities that arise as a consequence of change, learning, knowledge creation and competence-building will be of utmost importance to the sustainable development of these societies.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Call for Papers – Transitions, Transformations and Transdisciplinarity: Histories beyond History, WCEH4 2024 - January 23, 2023
- Top Five Posts of 2022 - January 4, 2023
- Open Call for Authors “Future Directions in Environmental History” - December 13, 2022
- Welcome the New NiCHE Executive and Editorial Board Members! - December 1, 2022
- Double Your Contribution! Matching Funds for the Next $1500 - November 22, 2022
- What Has NiCHE Done for You Lately? - November 14, 2022
- The Annual Great NiCHE November Fundraising Campaign! - November 1, 2022
- Call for 2023 NiCHE Editors and Executive Committee Members - October 19, 2022
- 2023 NiCHE Prize Call for Submissions - September 26, 2022
- Online Event – Water Knows No Boundaries – Releasing Toxic Tailings “Ponds” Won’t Either - September 22, 2022