Comprehensive Sustainable Development in Arctic Societies: Post-graduate summer school within the social and human sciences
Jointly organised by UArctic, CIRCLA/Aalborg University, Ilisimatusarfik
- Invitation to UArctic-CIRCLA Summer school 12-15 May 2014
- Application form for UArctic-CIRCLA Summer school 12-15 May 2014
- ARTEK, Sisimiut
- Registration deadline
- Sunday 15. December at 23:00
UArctic-CIRCLA-Ilisimatusarfik Post-Graduate Summer School on ‘Comprehensive Sustainable Development in Arctic Societies’.
Climate change, melting ice, access to resources and shipping routes and national competition for influence in the region bring a number of challenges and opportunities. It is becoming clear that maintaining status quo in Arctic societies is rarely a viable, even if desired option. Development to make the best of the changes, however, is.
Change-induced processes hold the potential for comprehensive sustainable development in the Arctic – in areas defined as political, social, economic as well as cultural. Modernization and reinvention of existing industries and systems of administration and communication, and the development of new industries provide a chance to break with decades of economic dependency and, consequently, a renaissance of cultural output and pride in local abilities and traditions. As Arctic peoples seek to seize the opportunities that arise as a consequence of change, learning, knowledge creation and competence-building will be of utmost importance to the sustainable development of these societies.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- 2023 NiCHE Prize Call for Submissions - September 26, 2022
- Online Event – Water Knows No Boundaries – Releasing Toxic Tailings “Ponds” Won’t Either - September 22, 2022
- Reversing the Biodiversity Crisis: A Book Release Discussion of Wild by Design - September 9, 2022
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Environmental Humanities – Whitman College, Washington - September 2, 2022
- The Management of Natural Resources and the Environment in Canada: Historical and Transnational Perspectives - August 8, 2022
- Environmental Humanities – Postdoctoral Fellowship, Literature, Film, or Cultural Studies – Lakehead University, Orillia - May 29, 2022
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Indian Ocean World Studies – Bourse postdoctorale en études du monde de l’océan Indien - May 20, 2022
- Best Book in Canadian Environmental History Prize: The 2022 Winner - May 19, 2022
- Job: Chair in Cultural Heritage Knowledge Integration in Ocean and Maritime Studies - May 18, 2022
- Online Event – The Pleasure of the Dawn Chorus: Preserving the Pandemic Soundscape - April 6, 2022