The Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History 2023 Lecture
“Coping with Climate Change: Can the Past Teach Us How to Survive the Future?”
Dagomar Degroot, Associate Professor of Environmental History, Department of History, Georgetown University
Date: Thursday, October 26, 2023
Time: Reception at 3 p.m. EDT | Lecture at 3:30 p.m. EDT
Hybrid Online and In-Person – Location: Executive Dining Room, Schulich School of Business, York University
Dagomar Degroot is an associate professor of environmental history at Georgetown University. His first book, The Frigid Golden Age, was published by Cambridge University Press in 2018 and named by the Financial Times as one of the ten best history books of that year.
His forthcoming book, Ripples on the Cosmic Ocean, is under contract with Harvard University Press and Viking, and he is editing three books on past climate change – including the Oxford Handbook of Resilience in Climate History. Degroot publishes equally in historical and scientific journals, including Nature and the American Historical Review, and writes for a popular audience in, for example, the Washington Post, Aeon Magazine, and The Conversation.
He maintains popular online resources on the history of climate change, and has shared the unique perspectives of the past with policymakers, corporate leaders, and journalists in many cities, from Wuhan to Washington, DC.
Feature Image: The Famine Stela, Sehel Island, Egypt
Latest posts by Jennifer Bonnell (see all)
- The Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History 2023 – Coping with Climate Change - September 19, 2023
- Back to the Woods: This Time, Seeking Stories - December 12, 2019
- 2018 Melville-Nelles-Hoffman Lecture in Environmental History - October 24, 2018
- Kate Brown to give 2018 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History - February 13, 2018
- Cracks in the Pavement - October 19, 2017
- The Iinnii Initiative: Reintroducing Bison to Blackfoot Country - June 6, 2016
- Natural History for Historians? - March 28, 2016
- Lessons Learned from 18 Months of Trial-By-Fire Teaching - January 7, 2015
- Highway to Nowhere: The Don Valley Parkway and the Development of Toronto’s North-East - May 14, 2014
- From the Archives to the Bee Yard - June 25, 2012