The Department of History at York University will host the annual Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History Thursday March 22 at 4pm in the Founders College Senior Common Room, 305 Founders College. The lecture will be delivered by Professor Kate Brown from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
Professor Brown is a leading scholar of modern Russian environmental history. She is the author of Plutopia: Nuclear Families, Atomic Cities, and the Great Soviet and American Plutonium Disasters (Oxford 2013), which won seven prizes, including the Dunning and Beveridge prizes from the American Historical Association, and the 2014 George Perkins Marsh Prize from the American Society for Environmental History (ASEH). Brown’s A Biography of No Place: From Ethnic Borderland to Soviet Heartland (Harvard 2004) was awarded the American Historical Association’s George Louis Beer Prize for the Best Book in International European History. Brown’s newest book, a collection of essays, Dispatches from Dystopia: History of Places Not Yet Forgotten was published by the University of Chicago Press in 2015. It explores place and the construction of space as a springboard for histories of communities and territories which have been silenced or destroyed. She will publish A Manual for Survival: A Chernobyl Guide to the Future, on the environmental and medical consequences of the Chernobyl disaster, with Norton in 2019.
A reception will be held beginning at 4pm; the lecture will begin at 4:30pm. All are welcome.
Latest posts by Jennifer Bonnell (see all)
- The Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History 2023 – Coping with Climate Change - September 19, 2023
- Back to the Woods: This Time, Seeking Stories - December 12, 2019
- 2018 Melville-Nelles-Hoffman Lecture in Environmental History - October 24, 2018
- Kate Brown to give 2018 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History - February 13, 2018
- Cracks in the Pavement - October 19, 2017
- The Iinnii Initiative: Reintroducing Bison to Blackfoot Country - June 6, 2016
- Natural History for Historians? - March 28, 2016
- Lessons Learned from 18 Months of Trial-By-Fire Teaching - January 7, 2015
- Highway to Nowhere: The Don Valley Parkway and the Development of Toronto’s North-East - May 14, 2014
- From the Archives to the Bee Yard - June 25, 2012