In the wake of the cancellation of the 2020 annual meeting of the American Society for Environmental History, NiCHE, in collaboration with H-Environment, is opening up its website to serve as a platform for alternative presentations. Any work that would have been presented at the conference in Ottawa can be presented here instead; all posts will also appear on H-Environment. While a virtual conference isn’t a substitute for the experience of coming together in person to meet, network, and celebrate, it can be a way of mobilizing our research.
What form should a virtual or alternative conference take? Live video streams? Text round-table discussions? Live chats? Photo galleries? Blog articles? Essays? We couldn’t decide on just one format so we thought we’d support them all.
Over the coming weeks, NiCHE will publish a special series called #AltASEH2020. We invite all ASEH 2020 participants to submit their work and their ideas for how to present it online. To submit your work for this series, take a moment to fill out this form.
This is also an opportunity to continue the drive to support the ASEH conference recovery fund. We will add a call for donations to every post in this series and encourage participants to consider donating to the fund.
With luck, this series will showcase some excellent new research in environmental history and give you a taste of what’s to come in future ASEH meetings. And we look forward to when we can all get together again (perhaps in Canada?) to share our work and celebrate our field.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Meet the Members of Our New NiCHE Editorial Team! - November 30, 2021
- Online Event – Teaching and Knowing an Anti-Racist Nature - November 25, 2021
- Webinar – Indicators for Climate Impact: Developing and Using Indicators to Promote Change - November 23, 2021
- Online Book Talk: Edward Feuz Jr. A Story of Enchantment – Whyte Museum - November 21, 2021
- Joan Mitchell Travel Award at Laurier Archives - November 16, 2021
- Meet Our New NiCHE Executive Members! - November 16, 2021
- 2022 NiCHE Book Prize Announcement - November 1, 2021
- November for NiCHE: A Fundraising Campaign - November 1, 2021
- Call for Papers: History of NASA and the Environment Symposium - October 22, 2021
- The Riley Postdoctoral Fellowship - September 10, 2021