In the wake of the cancellation of the 2020 annual meeting of the American Society for Environmental History, NiCHE, in collaboration with H-Environment, is opening up its website to serve as a platform for alternative presentations. Any work that would have been presented at the conference in Ottawa can be presented here instead; all posts will also appear on H-Environment. While a virtual conference isn’t a substitute for the experience of coming together in person to meet, network, and celebrate, it can be a way of mobilizing our research.
What form should a virtual or alternative conference take? Live video streams? Text round-table discussions? Live chats? Photo galleries? Blog articles? Essays? We couldn’t decide on just one format so we thought we’d support them all.
Over the coming weeks, NiCHE will publish a special series called #AltASEH2020. We invite all ASEH 2020 participants to submit their work and their ideas for how to present it online. To submit your work for this series, take a moment to fill out this form.
This is also an opportunity to continue the drive to support the ASEH conference recovery fund. We will add a call for donations to every post in this series and encourage participants to consider donating to the fund.
With luck, this series will showcase some excellent new research in environmental history and give you a taste of what’s to come in future ASEH meetings. And we look forward to when we can all get together again (perhaps in Canada?) to share our work and celebrate our field.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Ten Books to Contextualize Environmental Racism - July 8, 2020
- Call for Contributors: Research and Writing in the Time of COVID-19 - June 12, 2020
- Déclaration du comité exécutif du NiCHE sur la violence policière et le racisme / Statement on Police Violence and Anti-Black Racism - June 10, 2020
- #AltASEH2020 Call for Participants - March 30, 2020
- #ASEH2020Tweets Twitter Conference Schedule (March 19-20, 2020) - March 18, 2020
- New Book – Footprints: In Search of Future Fossils - March 18, 2020
- Environmental Change, War, and Neutrality in Imperial–Indigenous Relations in the Maritime Colonies, 1793–1815 - March 12, 2020
- *POSTPONED* Activist Scholarship in the Environmental Humanities - March 10, 2020
- From Away: How Teaching Americans Changed the Way I See Canada - February 28, 2020
- ASEH 2020: A Reading List - November 28, 2019