Episode 60: New Research in Canadian Environmental History
From time to time, we like to draw your attention to new research in the field of Canadian environmental history. We interview authors about new books, we speak with graduate students about their dissertations and theses.
On this episode of the podcast, we want to focus on new book chapters and journal articles. There are dozens of fascinating articles and chapters in Canadian environmental history that come out each year. NiCHE and University of Calgary Press publish a series of edited collections called “Canadian History and Environment” and NiCHE itself now has its own research paper series called Papers in Canadian History and Environment. But even more research appears in the pages of other journals and books.
To draw some attention to this work, I sat down with two NiCHE editors – Tina Adcock from Simon Fraser University and Claire Campbell from Bucknell University – to discuss some new articles and book chapters in Canadian environmental history. We each selected one article or book chapter that we had read recently and asked the others to read it too. We then got together to talk more about our selections.
Bouchard, Jack. ““Gens sauvages et estranges”: Amerindians and the Early Fishery in the Sixteenth Century Gulf of St. Lawrence” in forthcoming book, The Greater Gulf: Essays on the Environmental History of the Gulf of St. Lawrence
Loo, Tina. “Political Animals: Barren Ground Caribou and the Managers in a ‘Post-Normal’ Age” Environmental History 22, no. 3 (2017): 433-59.
Parsons, Christopher M. “Wildness without Wilderness: Biogeography and Empire in Seventeenth-Century French North America” Environmental History, 22, no. 4 (October 2017): 643–667.
Kheraj, Sean. “Episode 60: New Research in Canadian Environmental History” Nature’s Past: Canadian Environmental History Podcast. 9 April 2018.
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 69: Environmental Racism and Canadian History - July 29, 2020
- Whose Nature? Race and Canadian Environmental History - July 7, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 68: Home and Environment - May 11, 2020
- Energy and Modern Canada Round Table Live - April 17, 2020
- Energy and Modern Canada Round Table Live Friday, April 17 - April 13, 2020
- ASEH 2020 Cancelled (Please Donate) - March 11, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 67: Science, Technology, and the Modern - March 2, 2020
- 2020 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Eve Buckley - March 2, 2020
- ASEH 2020: A Listener’s Guide to Canadian #EnvHist - January 20, 2020
- Top 5 Posts of 2019 - January 1, 2020