Tuesday, May 30, 2017 will be a day of Canadian environmental history at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Historical Association. If you are attending the conference this year in Toronto at Ryerson University, please join us for the day with a big morning round table event, a special lunch meeting, and an afternoon panel of research papers.
The Network in Canadian History and Environment and the Environmental History Group of the CHA are sponsoring this day of Canadian environmental history. The day starts with a big round table at 10:15am titled, “The Past and Future of Canadian Environmental History.” Jim Clifford (University of Saskatchewan) will host and moderate this event with 8 scholars in the field of Canadian environmental history from across Canada. They will explore big questions confronting researchers in the field, including the role of environmental history in Canadian history, the boundaries of environmental history research, and the contributions of Canada to global studies of environmental history.
Following the big round table, the Environmental History Group and NiCHE will host a meeting at 11:45am to report on the activities of past year, discuss new ideas for NiCHE activities, and get feedback from members. All CHA members are invited to attend and lunch will be provided for the first 20 people to RSVP to Sean Kheraj at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, in the afternoon there will be a panel of research papers titled, “The Environment and the Dominion: How the State Shaped Nature in Canada.” Sean Kheraj (York University), Royden Loewen (University of Winnipeg), and Ruth Sandwell (University of Toronto) will present new research that explores different ways that the Canadian state has influenced human-nature relations in Canada, illustrating the role of the state in environmental history and exploring some of the environmental consequences of Confederation.
All are invited and welcome to join us for this day of Canadian environmental history at the CHA. This will be an important opportunity to discuss the state of the field in Canada, connect with other researchers, and learn about new work in Canadian environmental history. We hope you can join us.
If you have questions, please contact Sean Kheraj at email@example.com.
Day of Canadian Environmental History at CHA
10:15 – 11:45 | 10h15 – 11h45 (TRS 3-119):
The Past and Future of Canadian Environmental History Roundtable
| Table ronde sur le passé et le future de l’histoire environnementale
- Stephen Bocking (Trent University)
- Jennifer Bonnell (York University)
- Joanna Dean (Carleton University)
- Matthew Evenden (University of British Columbia)
- Mica Jorgenson (McMaster University)
- Dan Macfarlane (Western Michigan University)
- James Murton (Nipissing University)
- Jonathan Peyton (University of Manitoba)
Moderator | Modérateur : Jim Clifford (University of Saskatchewan)
11:45 – 13:15 | 11h45 – 13h15:
Business Meeting: Environmental History Group | Groupe d’histoire environnementale
13:15 – 14:45 | 13h15 – 14h45 (TRS 3-119):
The Environment and the Dominion: How the State Shaped Nature
in Canada | L’environnement et le Dominion : comment l’État a
façonné la nature au Canada
- Sean Kheraj (York University): “The National Energy Board and
- Royden Loewen (University of Winnipeg): “National Agricultural
Programs and Local Resistance: Canadian Mennonite Farmers in
- Ruth Sandwell (University of Toronto): “Through the Kitchen Window:
Energy, Environment and the State in Canada”
Chair | Animateur : James Murton (Nipissing University)
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- WEBINAR: Supporting Modern Environmental Research with Digital Primary Sources - February 2, 2023
- Call for Papers – Transitions, Transformations and Transdisciplinarity: Histories beyond History, WCEH4 2024 - January 23, 2023
- Top Five Posts of 2022 - January 4, 2023
- Open Call for Authors “Future Directions in Environmental History” - December 13, 2022
- Welcome the New NiCHE Executive and Editorial Board Members! - December 1, 2022
- Double Your Contribution! Matching Funds for the Next $1500 - November 22, 2022
- What Has NiCHE Done for You Lately? - November 14, 2022
- The Annual Great NiCHE November Fundraising Campaign! - November 1, 2022
- Call for 2023 NiCHE Editors and Executive Committee Members - October 19, 2022
- 2023 NiCHE Prize Call for Submissions - September 26, 2022