Arn Keeling and John Sandlos are pleased to announce the publication of the edited collection, Mining and Communities in Northern Canada: History, Politics, and Memory, part of the Canadian History and Environment book series published by University of Calgary Press. The book features many contributors from the Memorial University-based Abandoned Mines in Northern Canada project, including a number of graduate student researchers.
This collection examines historical and contemporary social, economic, and environmental impacts of mining on Aboriginal communities in northern Canada. Combining oral history research with intensive archival study, this work juxtaposes the perspectives of government and industry with the perspectives of local communities. The oral history and ethnographic material provides an extremely significant record of local Aboriginal perspectives on histories of mining and development in their regions.
The editors appreciate the tremendous support of NiCHE and the NiCHE community over the years, including their financial support for open access publication of the book’s chapters, available from the press website (or download the ebook here). We look forward to hearing from the NiCHE community about their impressions of the book, and hope it makes some contribution to the environmental history and historical geography of mining, Aboriginal peoples and northern Canada.
For more on our ongoing research into the toxic legacies of mining and the historical-geographical problems of northern contaminants, check out our project webpages linked above and follow us on Twitter, @abandondminesnc.
Latest posts by Arn Keeling (see all)
- Tracing the Trough (Part 2): Exploring the history and future of mining in Quebec and Labrador - July 30, 2019
- Tracing the Trough (Part 1): Exploring the history and future of mining in Quebec and Labrador - July 2, 2019
- Historical Geography vol. 44 (2016) now available! - January 9, 2017
- Public screening and talk at Queen’s: “Guardians of Eternity” - November 4, 2016
- New book: Mining and Communities in Northern Canada - December 2, 2015
- Designing for the Future at Giant Mine - August 10, 2015
- Exploring extractive industries in the Arctic - November 13, 2013