Northeastern & Atlantic Canada Environmental History Forum
Fourth Annual Meeting
21-22 August 2015
Bucknell University: Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Call for Papers – extended deadline, 15 June 2015
Please join us for our annual workshop exploring themes in the environmental history of northeastern North America.
We define both the theme and the area broadly.
- The study of the role of nature in the past, environmental history encompasses aboriginals and settlers, rural and urban communities, material and imaginative uses of nature.
- By northeastern North America, we envision a geography covering the American eastern seaboard from the Gulf of the St. Lawrence to the New Jersey shore and westward to the Appalachian Mountains.
Located in the central Susquehanna River valley, Lewisburg is a wonderful place to think about these questions. The heart of the eighteenth-century frontier, soon the river was lined with towns prospering from farm produce and then timber and coal from the Allegheny hills. Now the hills are reforesting, shale gas has replaced coal, but many of these river towns have not found a postindustrial equilibrium. Lewisburg, though, has remained economically and aesthetically vibrant, and the contrast in rural sustainability is intriguing and instructive. This story will resonate with many in the northeast, and we hope you will bring your own stories to share.
The goal of the workshop is three-fold:
- to discuss works in progress;
- to foster a sense of community among scholars in different fields and at different stages of their careers;
- to work toward a sense of the distinct contributions of eastern North America to the field of environmental history.
Participants will be expected to circulate article-length drafts no longer than 25 double-spaced pages by 1 August. The workshop will also include a field trip, speaker, and much time for discussion.
Please submit abstracts of no more than 350 words to Claire Campbell (email@example.com) by June 15, 2015. For more information on past workshops, see NACEHF.org.
Latest posts by Claire Campbell (see all)
- CFP: Water Ecologies - April 5, 2021
- Call for Contributions: Arcadia - March 26, 2021
- Shore/lines: Mapping Coastlines on Isle Saint-Jean - August 17, 2020
- A Working Waterfront: Water and Public Memory in Halifax - April 7, 2020
- “A window looking seaward” – Finding Environmental History in the Writing of L.M. Montgomery - March 26, 2020
- CFP: NEAR-EH Forum, Charlottetown, June 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Annual Call for Syllabi - October 24, 2019
- Call for Contributors: Not Your Day Job - September 19, 2019
- Mail Call! Postcards from Summer 2019 - September 12, 2019
- Summer Postcards 2019 - September 3, 2019