Global Environmental Histories from Below
Call for Papers
Special Issue of Resilience: A Journal of the Environmental Humanities
Robert Morrissey and Roderick Wilson, editors
We seek submissions for a special, peer-reviewed issue focusing on “Global Environmental Histories from Below” — by which we mean historical work that tells the history of environmental, social, and cultural change from the bottom up. Aiming for a truly global conversation, we hope to bring together scholars with a broad range of geographical and temporal concerns for a mix of essays that will be both methodological and topical. Digging below the level of empire and nation-state, this special issue will draw on local case studies from around the world to imagine and develop a set of frameworks for telling global environmental histories from a grassroots perspective.
Submissions should feature the viewpoint of the voiceless, underrepresented, or socially marginalized wherever possible. They might come at “the below” from a variety of angles, including but not limited to the following:
- Indigenous environmental histories: work that addresses the intersection of native peoples and their historical relations with local, regional and interregional environments;
- Environmental histories of agriculture and fishing: work that might range from agronomy to farming the sea to explore the long and complex history people have shared with plants, animals, and other historical actors at a variety of scales;
- Vernacular knowledges: work that explores how tacit knowledge of the environment is learned and transmitted and how local bodies of knowledge have been changed or lost with the introduction of scientific management of natural environments.
Submissions should be no more than 7000 words, including notes.
Deadline for submissions is May 15, 2015.
For further information please contact Bob Morrissey at firstname.lastname@example.org and Rod Wilson at email@example.com.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Call for Papers: History of NASA and the Environment Symposium - October 22, 2021
- The Riley Postdoctoral Fellowship - September 10, 2021
- Call for Papers for Topical Collection: Environment and the Life Sciences - September 10, 2021
- Storytime for the Apocalypse with NiCHE – The Audio - August 25, 2021
- The Pandemic Histories Website is Live! - August 18, 2021
- The Environmental Context of (Settler) Colonialism in Canada - August 5, 2021
- Editors Wanted - July 28, 2021
- “Environments of Exile: Refugees, Nature, and Representations” Program - July 26, 2021
- STREAMS Conference Programme Now Available! - July 21, 2021
- The Environmental Context of Residential Schools - July 9, 2021