Memorial University has funding for one graduate student at the PhD level to work on historical geography and environmental history
Arn Keeling, Department of Geography, and John Sandlos, Department of History, Memorial University of Newfoundland, are seeking one graduate student at the PhD level to work on the historical geography and environmental history of resource development in the Circumpolar Arctic, starting Fall 2012.
The successful candidate should maintain a strong interest in resource development issues in the Arctic, particularly the social, environmental, and economic impacts of development on local communities. This student will join a dynamic and diverse graduate program at Memorial, including students working on the Abandoned Mines in Northern Canada Project (www.abandonedminesnc.com).
A comprehensive funding package (including funding for research expenses) is available pending the outcome of current grant applications. There will be opportunities to augment the fellowship amounts through scholarships or Graduate Assistantships.
Memorial University of Newfoundland is one of Canada’s leading comprehensive research institutions. It hosts the largest library in Atlantic Canada in addition to specialized research centres such as the Maritime History Archive and the Centre for Newfoundland Studies. The university is located in St. John’s, a unique and culturally vibrant city set within stunning natural beauty.
Interested applicants should contact:
Although the funding packages are tied to the researchers, prospective students must follow the formal application process for graduate school at Memorial University of Newfoundland. For more information on the School of Graduate Studies go to http://www.mun.ca/sgs/home/. Find out more about the Department of Geography at http://www.mun.ca/geog/graduate/.
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Bingeable Series: NiCHE Compilations of Otter Posts - November 27, 2023
- The next $6,600 in donations will be matched! Double the impact of your support for NiCHE. - November 16, 2023
- Hybrid Event – Green Development or Greenwashing? Environmental Histories of Finland - November 15, 2023
- Announcing the NiCHE Merchandise Store! - November 10, 2023
- Job – Postdoctoral Researcher: Roosevelt Institute for American Studies - November 10, 2023
- November for NiCHE – 2023 Fundraising Campaign - November 1, 2023
- Call for 2024 NiCHE Executive Committee Member - October 27, 2023
- 2024 NiCHE Prize Call for Submissions - October 26, 2023
- Two Book Launches for Macfarlane’s Natural Allies - October 4, 2023
- Call for Papers – Contested Landscapes: “Wilderness” Parks and Shifting Narratives - October 2, 2023