I am really pleased to announce the publication and simultaneous e-publication of the first book in the new NiCHE / University of Calgary Press “Canadian History & Environment” series: A Century of Parks Canada, 1911-2011, edited by Claire E. Campbell. Congratulations to Claire and to all the chapter contributors.
When University of Calgary Press Director Donna Livingstone and I started talking about a series two years ago, we quickly came to agreement on what could make that series special. How about all edited collections, capturing the energy of the environmental history / historical geography community in Canada? Yes. How about encouraging contributors to get together and workshop the book early in the process? Yes. How about publishing not only a print version but an online version as well – and a free, simultaneous, open-access version at that? Yes!
A Century of Parks Canada, 1911-2011 is the (first) culmination of that conversation. When you visit the book’s site, you’ll find that you can either buy a hard copy or download the eBook in chapters for free.
Either way, you’ll find a great book. Claire Campbell has done a superb job of bringing together academic historians and Parks Canada historians to explore the first century of the first national parks agency in the world. She has set the bar high for future books in the series. If you’re interested in developing a book for the series, here is the “Guide for the Preparation of a Prospectus.”
Latest posts by Alan MacEachern (see all)
- Restricted Clientele! Everyday Racism in Canadian National Parks - September 9, 2020
- Material World: Exhibiting the Anthropocene - May 4, 2020
- CHESS 2020 ~ keep the dates! - October 4, 2019
- Well-Grounded - July 10, 2019
- ICEHO Bulletin 19 - March 28, 2019
- Review of Mannell, Living Lightly on the Earth - February 6, 2019
- Canopy: An Interview with Alan MacEachern - January 15, 2019
- The Year in Apocalypses - December 31, 2018
- Morley K. Thomas, 1918-2018 - April 27, 2018
- When History Stops at the Border - April 11, 2018