Our next NiCHE New Scholars meeting will focus on energy history.
Energy history as a sub-field of environmental history continues to develop and contribute important questions to our understandings of human-non-human relationships, extractive industries, commodity flows, and power dynamics. With current concern about climate change, global warming, and the search for renewable energy sources, it seems there has never been a time when historians have been more interested in examining the varied historical dynamics of energy history. In the past decade, energy historians have also made many contributions to contemporary debates on energy production, consumption, and distribution. This month, new scholars will get into these complex dynamics.
Some of the questions we will consider include, but are not limited to, the following:
- How has energy history shaped and contributed to environmental history more broadly?
- What lessons have we learned from energy history beyond materiality and the commodity?
- How do you see the field of energy history developing? What have been the most common ways of examining energy history and what new approaches, themes, or methods do you think are needed?
- How can we better integrate energy history into our teaching?
Finally, if you are presenting at ASEH, don’t forget to let us know when your presentation is and whether you’d like to attend a New Scholars social gathering here.
I look forward to hearing from you and for another great New Scholars meeting!
Latest posts by Heather Green (see all)
- Luck in the Archives: How One File Shaped My Dissertation - July 16, 2019
- Environmental Humanities, Public Engagement, and Community-Based Research - April 8, 2019
- Call for Papers: New Directions in Environmental History Twitter Conference - March 20, 2019
- Call For Participants: New Scholars March Meeting on Energy History - March 6, 2019
- Teaching in the Rockies and Foothills - March 5, 2019
- What is our role? Environmental History and Activism - February 28, 2019
- New Scholars Call For Participants and 2019 Overview - February 3, 2019
- Call for Participants: New Scholars December Meeting - November 15, 2018
- New Scholars Call for Participants and Fall 2018 Overview - October 3, 2018
- NiCHE New Scholars 2018/2019 - September 14, 2018