Our next NiCHE New Scholars meeting will focus on energy history.
Energy history as a sub-field of environmental history continues to develop and contribute important questions to our understandings of human-non-human relationships, extractive industries, commodity flows, and power dynamics. With current concern about climate change, global warming, and the search for renewable energy sources, it seems there has never been a time when historians have been more interested in examining the varied historical dynamics of energy history. In the past decade, energy historians have also made many contributions to contemporary debates on energy production, consumption, and distribution. This month, new scholars will get into these complex dynamics.
Some of the questions we will consider include, but are not limited to, the following:
- How has energy history shaped and contributed to environmental history more broadly?
- What lessons have we learned from energy history beyond materiality and the commodity?
- How do you see the field of energy history developing? What have been the most common ways of examining energy history and what new approaches, themes, or methods do you think are needed?
- How can we better integrate energy history into our teaching?
You can fill out the Doodle Poll here. I also encourage you to check out our recent energy series here and our nuclear power series here!
Finally, if you are presenting at ASEH, don’t forget to let us know when your presentation is and whether you’d like to attend a New Scholars social gathering here.
I look forward to hearing from you and for another great New Scholars meeting!
Latest posts by Heather Green (see all)
- Call for Papers – Yukon Environmental History: 125th Anniversary - April 19, 2023
- 2023 David Neufeld Memorial Lecture: Georgette McLeod - January 20, 2023
- Environmental History of Atlantic Canada Twitter Conference 2022 - December 6, 2022
- 2022 David Neufeld Memorial Lecture: Cody Groat - December 21, 2021
- Northern Borders Project Summer Students - October 22, 2021
- Sport Hunting Tourism and Indigenous-Settler Histories in the Yukon Territory - July 20, 2021
- Review of Routledge, Do You See Ice? - June 7, 2021
- Call for Contributors: Northern Borders and Boundaries - January 28, 2021
- Introducing the David Neufeld Memorial Lecture - January 13, 2021
- Northern Animals and Borders Virtual Workshop Live Stream - January 6, 2021