Hi New Scholars! Here is an overview of what NiCHE New Scholars has planned for the Fall 2018 term:
1) We will hold two digital meetings via Google Hangouts this term. The first will happen in October (natural resources and EH), and the second will happen in December (animal histories). Details on the October meeting are at the bottom of this post.
2) New Scholars is also organizing a Virtual Writing Partner workshop. New Scholars will work to connect emerging scholars in environmental history with each other to provide feedback on writing, recommendations for reading, tips on archival research, etc. You may have a course paper, an article for publication, a thesis chapter, or a candidacy proposal you would like some extra feedback on. This is a great opportunity to significantly connect with scholars from other institutions with whom you would not normally meet or work. It is also a great way to connect with other environmental historians for those scholars who are working independently or are in institutions where there are few environmental history students!
If you are interested in this initiative, simply fill out this form.
Call for Participants: October Meeting
I am in the process of organizing our first digital meeting for late October. The theme will be natural resource exploitation and resource futures. Lately there has been much attention in the media concerning natural resource developments, and emerging environmental historians have some great perspectives on not only the history of resource industries and developments, but also perspectives on the future of resource industries in Canada.
Some questions we will address include, but are not limited to, the following:
- What are the possible conflicts that can emerge around resource development?
- In what ways are contemporary resource developments represented in the public and how can environmental historians contribute to this?
- How can scholars best serve the communities we study that are impacted by resource development?
- How can environmental historians inform and engage with policy regarding resource development?
Do you have any other questions you would like to include in our discussion? If you do, please let me know! If the above is of interest to you, you can fill out the Doodle poll here – the meeting will happen on either October 25th or October 26th.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Latest posts by Heather Green (see all)
- Call for Participants: New Scholars December Meeting - November 15, 2018
- New Scholars Call for Participants and Fall 2018 Overview - October 3, 2018
- NiCHE New Scholars 2018/2019 - September 14, 2018
- Historical Mining and Contemporary Conflict: Lessons from the Klondike - May 2, 2018