Loyal readers will remember that the Canadian Forest History Preservation Project previously facilitated the donation of the late Mr Richard Herring’s fonds to UBC Rare Books and Special Collections. From afar, this is what that collection looks like now, at least to internet searchers.
Originally I was able to find a home for all of Mr Herring’s collection, except for his maps. While I first thought that the maps might have gone to the UBC Geographic Information Centre, they were in the process of liquidating their teaching collection to make room for the impending arrival of 2.3 million air photos.
A request for suggestions via the Canadian Association of Geographers list-serve put me in touch with Leonard Evenden, who then assisted with arrangements for Simon Fraser University to receive Mr Herring’s map collection (summer donation ceremony pictured above).
The 100+ maps represented Richard Herring’s working collection of charts (1930 – 1970), spanning his career in forestry across Ontario, Québec, Manitoba, British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska. Valuable as a source in their own right, when combined with Herring’s photos, home movies and reports they represent a window into forest management over a large swath of the twentieth century.
This archival donation was made possible by a collaboration that includes NiCHE, the Canadian Forest Service and the Forest History Association of British Columbia. Do consult our project brochure (English, French) and if you encounter any forest history related collections in need of an archival home, please do get in touch!
Latest posts by David Brownstein (see all)
- Archival Donation: Western Forest Products - July 26, 2016
- In Celebration of International Day of Forests: A Forest History Archival Donation Guide - March 21, 2015
- The Cloud Will Not Remember Everything Forever: Some Thoughts Prompted by Another Forest History Archival Donation - October 6, 2014
- History mysteries at the Association of BC Forest Professionals Meeting - August 11, 2014
- June is Forest History Month: Special issue of the Forestry Chronicle. - June 6, 2014
- Archival donation: the Dr Hubert William Ferdinand Bunce fonds. - May 26, 2014
- Adventures along the archival commodity chain: the Truck Loggers Convention. - May 2, 2014
- A rare event: forest history on the sports pages. - March 30, 2014
- Book Launch: A History of Forestry in Canada - March 10, 2014
- Announcing another archival donation: the Douglas Rickson fonds. - January 12, 2014