The Canadian Forest History Preservation Project is the result of a collaboration between NiCHE, The Canadian Forest Service, and The Forest History Society.
Our shared goal is to help facilitate donations of “at risk” forest history primary sources into Canadian archives. To that end, we undertook a national survey of archives, the results of which you can read in the attached report. As discussed, the Canadian archival community is in a period of significant transition, so this snapshot makes for some interesting reading. Without healthy, well-supported archives, it is impossible to undertake engaging, provocative research.
Of those invited, 208 archives participated in the project, and 169 self-identified as holding relevant forest history collections, were enthusiastic about donations of new material, and wished to be kept informed of future progress. This listing appears in the report appendix, and it is intended to assist the four provincial forest history associations in directing future donations.
While the work of facilitating donations is ongoing, to date the forest history community volunteered five collections as requiring archival protection. We also produced English and French language brochures, now in circulation,
Please help us promote the project goals by sharing electronic versions of our brochure. You can find them here:
Finally, if you know of any valuable forest history collections in danger of being lost or destroyed, please get in touch!
Latest posts by David Brownstein (see all)
- Archival Donation: Western Forest Products - July 26, 2016
- In Celebration of International Day of Forests: A Forest History Archival Donation Guide - March 21, 2015
- The Cloud Will Not Remember Everything Forever: Some Thoughts Prompted by Another Forest History Archival Donation - October 6, 2014
- History mysteries at the Association of BC Forest Professionals Meeting - August 11, 2014
- June is Forest History Month: Special issue of the Forestry Chronicle. - June 6, 2014
- Archival donation: the Dr Hubert William Ferdinand Bunce fonds. - May 26, 2014
- Adventures along the archival commodity chain: the Truck Loggers Convention. - May 2, 2014
- A rare event: forest history on the sports pages. - March 30, 2014
- Book Launch: A History of Forestry in Canada - March 10, 2014
- Announcing another archival donation: the Douglas Rickson fonds. - January 12, 2014