Urban Forests & Political Ecologies: Celebrating Transdisciplinarity
Toronto, ON – April 18-20th, 2013
Submission Deadline: 15 October 2012
Note category for historical narrative.
This three-day conference will cover a wide range of issues related to urban ecologies and political transgressions. It is designed for students, faculty, practitioners, community members, artists and researchers of all disciplines who are interested in enhancing their understanding of the various narratives that shape urban green spaces and the pedagogies that contribute to engaging with those diverse perspectives.
We encourage the submission of proposals that examine a variety of subjects relating to urban forests and culture broadly conceived within one of the six panel themes: a)Historical Narratives; 2) Urban Tree Cultures: Identities and Perspectives; 3) Social Inclusion in the Urban Forest: Scalar injustices and community connections; 4) From Government to Governance: Redefining politics; 5) Urban Ecology Pedagogies: Innovative approaches to education; 6) Adaptation and Vulnerability in the Urban Forest.
We welcome submissions from academics, graduate students, professionals, practitioners and artists. We are particularly interested in inter-and-transdisciplinary approaches and artistic expressions.
Submission Guidelines: There are three categories for submission:
1) Oral Presentations;
2) Poster Presentations; and,
3) Art Exhibition.
Call for Oral Presentations: Each panel will include five speakers: a keynote speaker, an academic paper presentation, a student paper presentation, a practitioner and case study, and an artistic expression or reflective piece (ie. illustration, performance, short film, etc.) discussing how this area has been impacting society at large (outside of academic research). Abstracts should clearly indicate the preferred panel theme as well as what speaker category you wish to be considered for.
Call for Poster Presentations: Posters will be displayed for the first two days of the conference. Dimensions: 2×3 feet
Call for Visual Art Representations and Photo Essays (Art Exhibit): If submitting for the art exhibit, please send a photograph of your artwork along with your abstract.
Abstracts should be no longer than 300 words and are accepted until October 15th, 2012. To propose a paper, a poster or an artistic expression or performance, please send all submissions via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information is available at the conference website: www.ufpe.ca
Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto
Faculty of Environmental Studies, York University
Humber Arboretum & Centre for Urban Ecology
Latest posts by David Brownstein (see all)
- Archival Donation: Western Forest Products - July 26, 2016
- In Celebration of International Day of Forests: A Forest History Archival Donation Guide - March 21, 2015
- The Cloud Will Not Remember Everything Forever: Some Thoughts Prompted by Another Forest History Archival Donation - October 6, 2014
- History mysteries at the Association of BC Forest Professionals Meeting - August 11, 2014
- June is Forest History Month: Special issue of the Forestry Chronicle. - June 6, 2014
- Archival donation: the Dr Hubert William Ferdinand Bunce fonds. - May 26, 2014
- Adventures along the archival commodity chain: the Truck Loggers Convention. - May 2, 2014
- A rare event: forest history on the sports pages. - March 30, 2014
- Book Launch: A History of Forestry in Canada - March 10, 2014
- Announcing another archival donation: the Douglas Rickson fonds. - January 12, 2014