Nature’s Past Episode 18 – click to play | right click, ‘save as’ to download
The provincial government of British Columbia describesDesolation Sound Marine Provincial Park as a “yachter’s paradise” located at the confluence of the Malaspina Inlet and Homfray Channel just north of the town of Power River. The calm, warm waters of Desolation Sound are a popular destination for boating tourists, swimmers, and scuba divers. Most visitors to this marine provincial park, however, are largely unaware of the interconnections between this park and the province’s history of colonization and the displacement of the region’s Aboriginal population.
On this episode of the podcast we interview Jonathan Clapperton, a history doctoral candidate from the University of Saskatchewan, about his research on the history of the relationship between Desolation Sound Marine Provincial Park and the local Sliammon First Nation.
Also, we continue the conversation about local and regional parks by speaking with participants from the recent NiCHE-sponsored symposium, Historical and Global Perspectives on Provincial and Local/Regional Parks.
Please be sure to take a moment and review this podcast on our iTunes page.
- Sean Kheraj, Canadian History and Environment
- Historical and Global Perspectives on Provincial and Local/Regional Parks Symposium
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 57: Why Study Canada? - September 13, 2017
- CHESS 2017 Reflections: Acknowledging People and the Land - June 8, 2017
- Nature’s Past Episode 56: Animal Metropolis - May 29, 2017
- 2017 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Sara Pritchard - March 27, 2017
- The Otter~La loutre: Top Five Posts of 2016 - January 5, 2017
- Nature’s Past Episode 55: Asbestos Mining and Environmental Health - November 30, 2016
- Indigenous Voices and Resistance in Oil Pipeline History: The Dene Tha’ and the Norman Wells Pipeline - November 18, 2016
- CHESS 2016 Reflections: Reconciliation and Environment - August 3, 2016
- The Nature of Confederation - July 7, 2016
- Nature’s Past Episode 53: The Social and Environmental History of Hamilton Harbour - May 26, 2016