Nature’s Past Episode 18 – click to play | right click, ‘save as’ to download
The provincial government of British Columbia describesDesolation Sound Marine Provincial Park as a “yachter’s paradise” located at the confluence of the Malaspina Inlet and Homfray Channel just north of the town of Power River. The calm, warm waters of Desolation Sound are a popular destination for boating tourists, swimmers, and scuba divers. Most visitors to this marine provincial park, however, are largely unaware of the interconnections between this park and the province’s history of colonization and the displacement of the region’s Aboriginal population.
On this episode of the podcast we interview Jonathan Clapperton, a history doctoral candidate from the University of Saskatchewan, about his research on the history of the relationship between Desolation Sound Marine Provincial Park and the local Sliammon First Nation.
Also, we continue the conversation about local and regional parks by speaking with participants from the recent NiCHE-sponsored symposium, Historical and Global Perspectives on Provincial and Local/Regional Parks.
Please be sure to take a moment and review this podcast on our iTunes page.
- Sean Kheraj, Canadian History and Environment
- Historical and Global Perspectives on Provincial and Local/Regional Parks Symposium
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 66: Communicating Toxic Legacies - October 16, 2019
- Nature’s Past Episode 65: 3rd World Congress of Environmental History - August 15, 2019
- How to Build the World’s Largest Oil Pipeline System - July 18, 2019
- Nature’s Past Episode 64: Environment and Alibi - May 22, 2019
- From Field Trip to Walking Tour: Animals in the City - April 30, 2019
- What Role Should History Play in Canadian Oil Pipeline Politics? - April 16, 2019
- Building Environmental History Networks Around the World - April 12, 2019
- I’m Not Going to Ohio: How I Will Participate in ASEH 2019 - April 11, 2019
- More: Energy History and Energy Futures - April 10, 2019
- Nature’s Past Episode 63: Unbuilt Environments - March 25, 2019