Nature’s Past Episode 13 – click to play | right click, ‘save as’ to download
On this episode of the podcast, we feature a preview discussion about a round-table panel for next week’s ASEH meeting called “Urbs in Horto: New Directions in Urban Environmental History”. Matthew Klingle, Ellen Stroud, Karl Appuhn, and Sean Kheraj sit down to discuss new developments in the field of urban environmental history and invite listeners to post comments or questions. Please let us know what you think.
Also, John Sandlos and Arn Keeling stop by to talk about their new project on abandoned mines in the Canadian North. This project examines the social and environmental consequences of large-scale mining operations for local Aboriginal people in northern Canada.
Please be sure to take a moment and review this podcast on our iTunes page.
- Sean Kheraj, Canadian History & Environment
- 2010 American Society for Environmental History Annual Meeting Program
- Cronon, William. Nature’s Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West. New York: W.W. Norton, 1991.
- Careless, J.M.S. “Frontierism, Metropolitanism, and Canadian History.” Canadian Historical Review 35, no. 1 (1954): 1-21.
- Stroud, Ellen. “Does Nature Always Matter? Following Dirt through History.” History and Theory 42, no. 4 (2004): 75-81.
- Appuhn, Karl. A Forest on the Sea: Environmental Expertise in Renaissance Venice Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2009.
- Klingle, Matthew. Emerald City: An Environmental History of Seattle New Haven: Yale University Press, 2007.
- Abandoned Mines in Northern Canada Project
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 57: Why Study Canada? - September 13, 2017
- CHESS 2017 Reflections: Acknowledging People and the Land - June 8, 2017
- Nature’s Past Episode 56: Animal Metropolis - May 29, 2017
- 2017 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Sara Pritchard - March 27, 2017
- The Otter~La loutre: Top Five Posts of 2016 - January 5, 2017
- Nature’s Past Episode 55: Asbestos Mining and Environmental Health - November 30, 2016
- Indigenous Voices and Resistance in Oil Pipeline History: The Dene Tha’ and the Norman Wells Pipeline - November 18, 2016
- CHESS 2016 Reflections: Reconciliation and Environment - August 3, 2016
- The Nature of Confederation - July 7, 2016
- Nature’s Past Episode 53: The Social and Environmental History of Hamilton Harbour - May 26, 2016