Following the recent virtual Northern Animals and Borders Workshop, the organizers want to expand on the exciting threads that came up at the workshop and to open this discussion up to a wider network of researchers working on issues of environmental humanities and borders/boundaries focusing on the North.
NiCHE is inviting submissions of 500-1000 words for a series that explores the diverse concepts of “borders” and “boundaries” in the Northern region of Canada (including, but not limited to, the Arctic and Subarctic regions) from any time period. Possible topics may include:
- Spatial/geographic/physical borders
- Border crossings/flows
- Human and/or animal migration
- Commodity chains
- Racial boundaries
- Animals and borders
- Histories which set the Canadian North within a circumpolar setting
Submissions are not strictly limited to these themes: you can pitch other ideas about Northern borders and boundaries! We are also interested in alternative forms of exploring these themes, including research posts, photo essays, personal reflections, videos, and cartographic essays.
Pitches of 200-words will be accepted until February 19th with publications beginning late March and running through May. If you are interested in contributing to this series, please email your pitch to Heather Green at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact Heather if you would like more information or have any questions about this series.
Latest posts by Heather Green (see all)
- Call for Papers – Yukon Environmental History: 125th Anniversary - April 19, 2023
- 2023 David Neufeld Memorial Lecture: Georgette McLeod - January 20, 2023
- Environmental History of Atlantic Canada Twitter Conference 2022 - December 6, 2022
- 2022 David Neufeld Memorial Lecture: Cody Groat - December 21, 2021
- Northern Borders Project Summer Students - October 22, 2021
- Sport Hunting Tourism and Indigenous-Settler Histories in the Yukon Territory - July 20, 2021
- Review of Routledge, Do You See Ice? - June 7, 2021
- Call for Contributors: Northern Borders and Boundaries - January 28, 2021
- Introducing the David Neufeld Memorial Lecture - January 13, 2021
- Northern Animals and Borders Virtual Workshop Live Stream - January 6, 2021