Episode 70: Environmentalism and the Company of Young Canadians
In the fourth article in Papers in Canadian History and Environment, Kevin Brushett explores the role of the Company of Young Canadians in early environmental activism around issues that we might refer to today as “sustainable development.”
The Company of Young Canadians was a federally sponsored youth program that operated from 1965 to 1977. As Brushett writes, “The Company was established by the Pearson Liberal government in 1965 to act as the foot soldiers in Canada’s very own war on poverty.”
The CYC also became involved in emergent environmental activism in the 1960s and 1970s. One CYC activist is even credited with naming “green peace.”
This episode of the podcast features an interview with Kevin Brushett about this new article and the history of the CYC.
Brushett, Kevin. “From the Grassroots: The Company of Young Canadians, Local Activism, and Sustainable Development in Canada, 1965-1975” Papers in Canadian History and Environment, no. 4 (August 2020): 1-38, http://dx.doi.org/10.25071/10315/37570
“Hip-Hop Upbeat” by Art Music
“Addictive Fun” by E.M.M.
Kheraj, Sean. “Episode 70: Environmentalism and the Company of Young Canadians” Nature’s Past: Canadian Environmental History Podcast. 2 September 2020.
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Thank You, Friends of NiCHE! - December 2, 2022
- Nature’s Past Episode 76: Methodological Challenges in Animal History - November 30, 2022
- Nature’s Past Episode 75: Uranium Mining at Elliot Lake - June 30, 2022
- How the Interprovincial and Trans Mountain Pipelines Were Approved - April 8, 2022
- Nature’s Past Episode 74: Colonial Legacies of Wood Buffalo National Park - March 28, 2022
- Reindeer at the End of the World: Apocalypse, Climate, and Soviet Dreams - January 25, 2022
- Top 5 Posts of 2021 - January 6, 2022
- 2022 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Bathsheba Demuth - January 3, 2022
- Thank You - December 20, 2021
- Nature’s Past Episode 73: New Books in Canadian Environmental History - November 15, 2021