Earlier today, the American Society for Environmental History announced the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 annual meeting that was scheduled to be held March 25-29 in Ottawa, Ontario. I think Christopher Slaby and our own editor Tina Adcock summed things up well on Twitter:
Hear, hear: and thanks as well to local organizers such as @kgreer18 and @Willy_Knight, who have put so much time, care, and work into building a superb programme for #ASEH2020. Even if the conference never takes place, it’s important to acknowledge and appreciate their efforts. https://t.co/s5gIfaiovz— Dr Tina Adcock (@TinaAdcock) March 11, 2020
The news is obviously a great disappointment to many, especially the organizers who have poured hundreds of hours of work into coordinating what would have been an outstanding schedule of events and activities. We at NiCHE are also saddened that we won’t be able to welcome colleagues from around the world to Canada this March. Still, we understand the urgent need to act for the protection of both individual and collective health during the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. We appreciate the leadership of the ASEH executive and conference organizers in this difficult time.
We would also like to encourage ASEH and NiCHE members to consider making a donation to ASEH. The financial costs of cancelling the conference will likely be substantial. If you are able to donate, please do so with the button below.
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 71: Water and Anishinaabe Territory - April 12, 2021
- James Scott: How to Write Like a River - February 28, 2021
- The First Post-War Oil Pipeline Hearings in Canada - February 9, 2021
- 2021 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Brittany Luby and Chief Lorraine Cobiness - February 8, 2021
- Top 5 Posts of 2020 - January 5, 2021
- Nature’s Past Episode 70: Environmentalism and the Company of Young Canadians - September 2, 2020
- Interview Animalia: An Anti-Imperial Bestiary for Our Times - August 12, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 69: Environmental Racism and Canadian History - July 29, 2020
- Whose Nature? Race and Canadian Environmental History - July 7, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 68: Home and Environment - May 11, 2020