Earlier today, the American Society for Environmental History announced the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 annual meeting that was scheduled to be held March 25-29 in Ottawa, Ontario. I think Christopher Slaby and our own editor Tina Adcock summed things up well on Twitter:
Hear, hear: and thanks as well to local organizers such as @kgreer18 and @Willy_Knight, who have put so much time, care, and work into building a superb programme for #ASEH2020. Even if the conference never takes place, it’s important to acknowledge and appreciate their efforts. https://t.co/s5gIfaiovz— Dr Tina Adcock (@TinaAdcock) March 11, 2020
The news is obviously a great disappointment to many, especially the organizers who have poured hundreds of hours of work into coordinating what would have been an outstanding schedule of events and activities. We at NiCHE are also saddened that we won’t be able to welcome colleagues from around the world to Canada this March. Still, we understand the urgent need to act for the protection of both individual and collective health during the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. We appreciate the leadership of the ASEH executive and conference organizers in this difficult time.
We would also like to encourage ASEH and NiCHE members to consider making a donation to ASEH. The financial costs of cancelling the conference will likely be substantial. If you are able to donate, please do so with the button below.
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Nature’s Past Episode 69: Environmental Racism and Canadian History - July 29, 2020
- Whose Nature? Race and Canadian Environmental History - July 7, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 68: Home and Environment - May 11, 2020
- Energy and Modern Canada Round Table Live - April 17, 2020
- Energy and Modern Canada Round Table Live Friday, April 17 - April 13, 2020
- ASEH 2020 Cancelled (Please Donate) - March 11, 2020
- Nature’s Past Episode 67: Science, Technology, and the Modern - March 2, 2020
- 2020 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Eve Buckley - March 2, 2020
- ASEH 2020: A Listener’s Guide to Canadian #EnvHist - January 20, 2020
- Top 5 Posts of 2019 - January 1, 2020