Succession: Queering the Environment
A NiCHE Series
Proposal Deadline: February 15, 2020
Draft Deadline: May 15, 2020
Series Publication: June 2020
In ecology, succession is a series of progressive changes made in a community over time. These changes often lead to higher diversity in an environment.
Succession: Queering the Environment will explore the changes that occur within environmental history and related environmental studies when queer people, non-humans, systems, and ideas are centred.
We seek proposals for Succession that:
- Feature LGBTQIA2S+ folks interacting with and thinking about the environment and non-human animals in the past and present.
- Reimagine environmental topics using queer theory or a related queer lens.
- Feature environmental history, but we also welcome environmental humanities, queer ecology, and related interdisciplinary pitches.
- Feature traditional blog articles, but we also welcome pitches for relevant poetry, art, photo essays, audio projects, video projects, etc.
We also seek:
- An individual willing to write a literature review to begin the series.
Send a 100-300 word proposal describing your proposed submission and how it relates to the field of environmental history/studies more broadly and a short bio to Jessica DeWitt, firstname.lastname@example.org, by February 15, 2020.
Applicants will be alerted of their submission status by the end of February. Please also email any questions or other inquiries to Dr. DeWitt.
Wondering what a NiCHE series looks like? Here are a few examples:
- Hope and Environmental History
- “Dam Nation: Hydroelectric Developments in Canada”
- “(Un)Natural Identities: Unearthing Gender in Environmental History”
Latest posts by Jessica DeWitt (see all)
- #EnvHist Worth Reading: February 2020 - March 25, 2020
- So You Want to Host a Twitter Conference… - March 17, 2020
- A Reluctant Steward: Alberta and its Parks - March 9, 2020
- #EnvHist Worth Reading: January 2020 - February 25, 2020
- #EnvHist Worth Reading: December 2019 - January 22, 2020
- CFP – Succession: Queering the Environment - January 14, 2020
- #EnvHist Worth Reading: November 2019 - December 18, 2019
- #EnvHist Worth Reading: October 2019 - November 21, 2019
- #EnvHist Worth Reading: September 2019 - October 22, 2019
- Call for Contributors: Coulees to Muskeg – A Saskatchewan Environmental History Series - October 3, 2019