Our second NiCHE New Scholars meeting will focus on the theme of animals in environmental history.
The study of animals in environmental history has continued to grow in the past several years. The theme of human-animal relationships, the ways in which non-human animals shape the rest of the natural world, and studies of animal domestication and husbandry continue to contribute to our understandings of environmental history.
Some questions we will consider include, but are not limited to:
- How central have the categories and conceptions of “animal” been in environmental history? Do you agree that we are experiencing a paradigm shift?
- In what ways have animals shaped trans-boundary environmental history?
- What influences the ways in which we think about animals as “good” or “bad” (or, pests, prey, and pets)? What repercussions has this had (or continue to have) on human-animal relationships and conservation efforts?
- How can we reconcile the histories of animals and the anthropocene?
I encourage you to read this short article from 2016 by Dan Vandersommers, a former Wilson postdoc here at McMaster, before the meeting. Do you have any other questions you would like to include in our discussion? If you do, please let me know!
You can fill out the Doodle Poll here – the meeting will take place sometime in early December.
I look forward to hearing from you and for another great New Scholars meeting!
Latest posts by Heather Green (see all)
- 2023 David Neufeld Memorial Lecture: Georgette McLeod - January 20, 2023
- Environmental History of Atlantic Canada Twitter Conference 2022 - December 6, 2022
- 2022 David Neufeld Memorial Lecture: Cody Groat - December 21, 2021
- Northern Borders Project Summer Students - October 22, 2021
- Sport Hunting Tourism and Indigenous-Settler Histories in the Yukon Territory - July 20, 2021
- Review of Routledge, Do You See Ice? - June 7, 2021
- Call for Contributors: Northern Borders and Boundaries - January 28, 2021
- Introducing the David Neufeld Memorial Lecture - January 13, 2021
- Northern Animals and Borders Virtual Workshop Live Stream - January 6, 2021
- Remembering Dave: A Collective Tribute to David Neufeld - September 22, 2020