Episode 6:Protest and Resistance: G20 Stories [1:07:25]
In June of 2010, government leaders from 20 of the world’s richest countries met in Toronto to discuss the global economy and the world financial system. People from across Canada and around the world converged in the streets of downtown Toronto to protest the G20’s focus on increasing austerity measures and cuts to social programming as a way to curtail international debt and to keep power in the hands of the wealthy. These protesters were met with the most expensive and violent coordinated security effort in Canadian history.
In this episode guest producer Sonja Killoran-McKibbin guides listeners through the G20 weekend by weaving together the stories of community organizers Yogi Acharya, Joanna Adamiak, and Catherine Ady-Bell. Yogi, Joanna, and Catherine each provide their personal experience in preparation for, during, and after the G20 in Toronto. Together, these stories challenge the mainstream media and Canadian government’s criminalization of community organizers and argue for the importance of acts of resistance in everyday life.
G20 Prison Blogs
- Get Off the Fence March
- Movement Defense Committee
- No One Is Illegal Toronto
- Ontario Coalition Against Poverty
- Toronto Mobilization Network
- The Official G20 Website
- Malleson, Tom and Wachsmuth, David (eds.). Whose Streets? The Toronto G20 and the Challenges of Summit Protest. Toronto: Between the Lines, 2011.
- Jasper, James M. The Art of Moral Protest. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997.
- Wood, Lesley. “Bringing Together the Grassroots: A Strategy and a Story from Toronto’s G20 Protests.” Upping the Anti. Vol. 11 (2011).
- Following up on Toronto’s G20 Arrestees by Guelph ABC
- Policing the Right to Protest: G20 Systemic Review Report, Office of the Independent Police Review Directorate.
- G20 Summit Caught in the Act – Ontario Ombudsman’s report.
- Parliamentary Committee Report on the G20.
- G20 Summit: Police Service After Action Review
- Yogi Acharya
- Joanna Adamiak
- Catherine Ady-Bell
Killoran-McKibbin, Sonja, Amanda Di Battista and Andrew Mark, “Protest and Resistance: G20 Stories” CoHearence. 12 December 2012
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- Thank You, Friends of NiCHE! - December 2, 2022
- Nature’s Past Episode 76: Methodological Challenges in Animal History - November 30, 2022
- Nature’s Past Episode 75: Uranium Mining at Elliot Lake - June 30, 2022
- How the Interprovincial and Trans Mountain Pipelines Were Approved - April 8, 2022
- Nature’s Past Episode 74: Colonial Legacies of Wood Buffalo National Park - March 28, 2022
- Reindeer at the End of the World: Apocalypse, Climate, and Soviet Dreams - January 25, 2022
- Top 5 Posts of 2021 - January 6, 2022
- 2022 Melville-Nelles-Hoffmann Lecture in Environmental History: Bathsheba Demuth - January 3, 2022
- Thank You - December 20, 2021
- Nature’s Past Episode 73: New Books in Canadian Environmental History - November 15, 2021