Event Date: Oct 16 2009 – Oct 17 2009
Event Website: Event Webpage
City: Toronto, Ontario
Primary Contact Name: William J. Turkel
Contact Email: email@example.com
- Book Cover Images (LibraryThing)
- Classify (OCLC) – Find Dewey and Library of Congress classification numbers for library items (e.g., books, DVDs, etc.).
- COPAC Search (SRU) and MODS XML fetch by identifer (major University and National Libraries in the UK and Ireland, including the British Library)
- DBPedia – Structured information from Wikipedia
- DOI Resolution (CrossRef) – Requires an account
- Google Book Search API – link to items in GBS, and find out about their availability
- Guess OPAC System (OCLC) – An experimental service that tries to intelligently detect the OPAC vendor and its ISBN,ISSN, and OCLCNUM linking template.
- Hathi Trust – Library-hosted books digitized by Google
- High-Level Thesaurus (HILT) Project – Cross-searching of various controlled vocabularies and terminologies.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings (Library of Congress) – LCSH as linked data using SKOS
- LibraryThing JSON Books API
- LibraryThing Web Services API (LibraryThing)
- Metadata Crosswalk Service (OCLC, Experimental) – Transforms metadata from one format to another.
- OpenCalais (Thomson Reuters) – Creates rich semantic metadata for the content you submit
- Open Library
- OpenURL Gateway (OCLC) – delivers “Where Are You From?” resolver services via portable and institution-independent OpenURL links
- pewbot (Huddersfield University Library) – “People who borrowed this also borrowed that” service
- Scopus (Elsevier) – Search this massive journal article database
- Talis Platform
- Terminology services (OCLC) – Various controlled vocabularies, including LCSH, MeSH, and TGM
- ThingISBN (LibraryThing) – Takes an ISBN and returns a list of ISBNs from the same “work” (i.e., other editions and translations)
- ThingLang (LibraryThing) – Takes an ISBN and returns the language of the book
- ThingTitle (LibraryThing) – Takes a title and returns a list ISBNs from the most likely LibraryThing “work,” the LibraryThing title and a link to the LibraryThing work page
- Virtual International Authority File (Library of Congress (LC), the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (DNB), the Bibliothèque nationale de France (BnF), and OCLC)
- Worldcat Identities (OCLC) – Get information about people/organizations listed in Worldcat
- WorldCat Registry and detail (OCLC) – Find and retrieve basic information about institutions and consortia profiled in the WorldCat Registry, not limited to OCLC members
- WorldCat Search Service (OCLC) – API to the largest bibliographic database in the world
- xISBN (OCLC) – Find all the ISBNs plus edition and other metadata related to a work
- xISSN (OCLC) – Find all the related ISSNs
- xOCLCNUM (OCLC) – Find all OCLC Numbers plus edition and other data related to a work
Individual Library Catalogs
- Information Environment Service Registry (JISC)
- ProgrammableWeb.com – Both library and non-library services.
Tools & Specifications
- Atom Publishing Protocol
- DLF ILS Discovery Task Group (DLF-ILS) Technical Recommendation (Digital Library Federation) – “An API for effective interoperation between integrated library systems and external discovery
- IndexData Software Tools
- Jangle – An open specification for exposing content (starting with, although not exclusive to, library services) consistently and simply using the Atom Publishing Protocol.
- OpenSRF (Evergreen)
- PatREST and more (including modules to interface w/III) (John Blyberg)
- SRU: Search and Retrieve via SRU (Library of Congress) – Next generation library search and retrieve protocol
- Z39.50 (NISO) – Legacy search and retrieve protocol