In the second part of CoHearence’s look at the 2011 conference, Green Words/Green Worlds: Environmental Literatures and Politics in Canada, we continue our investigation of the relationship between the cultivation of an environmental reading (and writing) practice and engaged eco-politics. Featuring excerpts from the Green Words/Green Worlds opening public poetry panel which included keynote presenters Brian Bartlett, Armand Garnett Ruffo and Rita Wong, we build on our discussion with conference organizers Catriona Sandilands and Ella Soper about why literature is important for environmental thought and action. We explore how and why Canadian ecocritics and poets are engaging with the challenging environmental questions of our time and provide perspectives for rethinking the way we imagine our environment.
- Association for Literature, Environment, and Culture in Canada (ALECC)
- The Association for the Study of Literature & Environment (ASLE)
- A Windigo Tale (Armand Garnett Ruffo’s film)
- Downstream (Rita Wong’s current project)
- Save the Fraser Declaration
- Amazay: a Film about Water
- Jane Rule memorial and selected writings
- Edie Steiner’s Website
- Bartlett, Brian. “From Ringing Here & There: A Nature Calendar.” The Goose 9 (Summer 2011): 6-8 [PDF].
- Bartlett, Brian. The Watchmaker’s Table. Fredericton: Goose Lane Editions, 2008.
- Dickinson, Adam. “Call to Arms.” The Polymers. Scarborough ON: House of Anansi Press, 2013.
- Momaday, N. Scott. The Way to Rainy Mountain. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1969.
- Oman Lela Kiana. The Epic of Qayaq: The Longest Story Ever Told by My People. Ottawa: Carleton University Press, 1995.
- Robinson, Harry. Write it on your Heart. Ed. Wendy Wickwire. Vancouver: Talonbooks/Theytus,1989.
- Rule, Jane. The Desert of the Heart. Toronto: Macmillan, 1964.
- Sandilands, Catriona. “Queering Ecocultural Studies.” Cultural Studies 22:3 (2008): 455-476.
- White, E.B. “E. B. White: Notes and Comment by Author.” By Israel Shenker, The New York Times 11 Jul. 1969.
- Wong, Rita. “offering.” Forage. Gibsons Landing, B.C. Nightwood Editions, 2007. 12
- Elegua Records
- Pants Productions
- Brian Bartlett
- Adam Dickinson
- Ben Geherls
- Kathryn Komorowski
- Augustine Nchujie
- Armand Garnett Ruffo
- Catriona Sandilands
- Ella Soper
- Edie Steiner
- Peter Timmerman
- Rita Wong
Di Battista, Amanda and Andrew Mark, “Poetic Nature(s): Literature and Politics at the Green Words/Green Worlds Conference Part 2” CoHearence. 12 June 2012
Latest posts by Sean Kheraj (see all)
- CHESS 2016 Reflections: Reconciliation and Environment - August 3, 2016
- The Nature of Confederation - July 7, 2016
- Nature’s Past Episode 53: The Social and Environmental History of Hamilton Harbour - May 26, 2016