Now recruiting! Graduate students, post-docs, and emerging scholars interested in northern history for our November NiCHE New Scholars discussion.
As the air grows colder and the nights grow longer, we’re turning our attention north! Michael Clemens will lead the talk – Clemens’ doctorate research addresses representations of northern science and nature in Canada’s National Film Board documentaries. We’re looking for new and emerging scholars to help us address questions like:
1) Stories about the north are typically authored by southerners. How can environmental histories of the north incorporate “northern” voices into its historiography? What new avenues of research might these perspectives create?
2) How does the Canadian experience of the North compare to other northern states?
3) What is the relationship between northern history and Environmental History as a whole? Can we imagine the two as separate? How does northern history inform/complicate major debates in the field?
4) How can historians of the north use their scholarship to shape, or at least inform contemporary debates about environmental change?
Some suggested primers:
- Stephen Bocking’s “Science and Space in the Northern Environment,” in Environmental History 12 (October, 2007)
- John Sandlos “From the Outside Looking In: Aesthetics, Politics, and Wilderness Conservation in the Canadian North,” in Env. History 6 (January 2001)
- Shelagh Grant “Arctic Wilderness – and other mythologies,” in Journal of Canadian Studies 32 no. 2 (1998).
Date: Tuesday November 22nd, at 1pm EST
Place: Google hangouts.
This will be the last NiCHE New Scholars get together of 2016. Don’t miss out! Contact me (email@example.com) to get added to the event.
Latest posts by Mica Jorgenson (see all)
- Fire Break? Environmental History and the 2019 Wildfire Season - October 23, 2019
- Cumulative Impact: Reflections from the River & CHESS 2019 - September 5, 2019
- Review of McNeill and Vrtis, eds., Mining North America - November 29, 2017
- Get Involved: NiCHE New Scholars 2017/2018 - September 20, 2017
- Mining History and Hope - June 21, 2017
- NiCHE New Scholars March Update – Digital #envhist - March 17, 2017
- New Scholars Call for Participants: Digital #EnvHist Meeting, Current Climate e-Roundtable, and ASEH Warm-up - February 7, 2017
- NiCHE New Scholars December Update - December 6, 2016
- New Scholars November Update - November 8, 2016
- New Scholars October Update: New Directions in Park History - October 6, 2016