The City of Cambridge Archives Board invites you to join them on October 17, 2009 for History on the Grand, a one-day local history symposium being held at the University of Waterloo School of Architecture in Downtown Cambridge Ontario.
The overarching aim of this symposium is to provide a forum for members of the academic community, historical and heritage groups, historical sites, local government representatives, museums, archives and the general public to share research and discuss issues arising from the study of local history and making history public. The theme of this year’s symposium, “Industry and the Environment,” speaks to a topic that is relevant and significant in both a historical perspective and to the current community. We hope to attract a wide variety of presenters and papers, to discuss the history of industry in southwestern Ontario, historical perspectives concerning the local environment both built and natural, and especially the intersections, dynamics and conflicts between industry and the environment in this area.
We invite proposals for papers on a wide range of themes including but not limited to:
- Histories of local industries and their impacts on communities
- The effects of industry on the local environment
- Histories of parks, green-spaces, and local environmental preservation/protection movements and organizations
- The impact of the local natural environment on the development of communities
- History of “brownfields” and the process of redevelopment/rehabilitation of industrial lands
- Urban renewal projects of post-industrial sites
- Impact of industrial decline on communities
Please submit a brief paper abstract, maximum 500 words, plus a brief (1-2 pages) curriculum vitae or biography.
Deadline for submissions is May 1, 2009 and presenters will be notified by June 15, 2009. For further information and the submittal of paper abstracts please contact:
Jim Quantrell, City of Cambridge Archives, P.O. Box 669 Cambridge ON. N1R 5W8 or by e-mail at: email@example.com.
Come to Cambridge in October and spend a day with us on the scenic and historic Grand River.
History on the Grand: Industry and the Environment is supported by NiCHE, Network in Canadian History and Environment
Latest posts by NiCHE Administrators (see all)
- Introducing Papers in Canadian History and Environment - February 14, 2018
- Thinking Mountains 2018 CFP - January 6, 2018
- Top Five Posts of 2017 - January 3, 2018
- Contributors Welcome - September 29, 2017
- Applicants Sought for Editor of Environmental History - September 18, 2017
- Refresh: A New Look for NiCHE - September 11, 2017
- CHESS 2017 Keynote Address: Bonnie Devine, “Claims, Names, and Allegories” - May 23, 2017
- Day of Canadian Environmental History at CHA 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Chicago: The Conference - April 7, 2017
- Canadian Environmental History at ASEH 2017 - March 29, 2017